Chickens in Ohio

But, btw, Mt. Healthy has an excellent reputation. They are a hatchery, but if you are looking for pure bred, healthy stock, I would go there if I were you

Yeah, I have heard about Mt. Healthy but havent been there. Maybe I will check them out, thanks! I got a lead on some ameraucanas that I am considering, anyone know if they are friendly and nice? I am confused about the egg color of ameraucanas vs. araucanas? Are either of them olive layers? What are BB Reds bayou? Are they anything like the Old English? If so, Diversified Show Birds in Wapakoneta OH has them although I dont know if they have eggs yet but they are planning to add them to their inventory.

Chicknmania: Do you rent out your roos for mating or just sell? I actually dont use my roos at all and would be happy to sell to you if you are interested. I usually get pure breed chickens and like to hatch for the same reason, I like them to be held and talked to so they will be friendly:)

WE've had a request from someone to rent our Buff Silkie roo for mating and he'd be happy to oblige I'm sure, but the people haven't really followed up and I'm not
that crazy about doing that...always worry about maybe accidentally bringing back something to our flock that we don't want, like a communicable disease.
WE don't need to buy any, I was just saying that we usually have extra cockerels in the spring...
smile.png
and have rehomed a bunch of them over the years. All of our roosters
ARE very friendly... we have no mean ones, and have never had.

I have been in your position. ( hatchery birds) healthy layers someone had raised.... my first birds_ went great! Then I found a local lady that was within an hour that was great(she was ordering from hatchery and then resale).... When she quit selling and I wanted to get every Cool breed I heard was for sale on craigslist_ BAD!! Many locals in my area seem to think a "chicken cold" (NO such thing= disease) is oKay and a normal part of their flock. Stay away from bird swaps and those who swap them! didn't think disease was serious until we had it happen. I thought people were blowing "biosecurity" out of proportion... Please be careful! Check out the person you buy from and check the birds out. We gave every breed and bird up incase it came in contact with the sick and we MOVED to another place. Just please be careful.

Wow, this is maybe a little extreme. Yes be careful. If you don't buy from a hatchery, then quarantine your new birds for at least a month, and watch them carefully for signs of illness.

B&G Eisenbeis :

I have been in your position. ( hatchery birds) healthy layers someone had raised.... my first birds_ went great! Then I found a local lady that was within an hour that was great(she was ordering from hatchery and then resale).... When she quit selling and I wanted to get every Cool breed I heard was for sale on craigslist_ BAD!! Many locals in my area seem to think a "chicken cold" (NO such thing= disease) is oKay and a normal part of their flock. Stay away from bird swaps and those who swap them! didn't think disease was serious until we had it happen. I thought people were blowing "biosecurity" out of proportion... Please be careful! Check out the person you buy from and check the birds out. We gave every breed and bird up incase it came in contact with the sick and we MOVED to another place. Just please be careful.​

Back
Top Bottom