Chickens in Pitt Meadows?

zu!

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Hello folks:

I live in Beautiful BC in a small town called Pitt Meadows and I would like to raise chickens mainly for their eggs.
smile.png

It was the wife's either really, and she got one of my young daughters onside and before I knew it, I was pulling out the pieces of an old torn-down doghouse that was left in the garden when we bought the house years ago. So I spent the last two weekends putting together that old doghouse. It would've been easier to just build a new one, so I don't have to spend all my time pulling out rusty nails and grinding those that I can't pull out. But, well, that would just not be in keeping with the spirit of being good for the environment right.
big_smile.png

Anyway, finally finished the nesting boxes and was going to put them into the main today after work, and guess what? I was talking to a buddy over the phone and he advised me to contact City Hall and see if its allowed. I was like 'what??, why not??" Well, my wife called and was told in no uncertain terms that the keeping of livestock (including chickens) in a suburban house less than one acre was not allowed.[/url]

So well, talk about a downer. I'm not going to take this lying down though. I know my wife wanted this, but now, I've invested lots of time and hard work in this and I think its downright ridiculous for a city to get involved in this. I also heard that Vancouver and Burnaby are two other cities that allowed backyard chickens and these places are much much more urban and built-up than Pitt Meadows. In fact, in Pitt Meadows, the farms outnumber the houses I think!

So what advice can you kind folk give me? I've been thinking of downloading and sending the bylaws from other cities that allow backyard chickens to the bylaw officer in my city as a start.

Mod, I put this post here as an intro, but got kinda carried away, please feel free to move it to the relevant section, thanks!

Hello folks and thanks for the warm welcome. And yes, I did check out the page mentioned and whilst I didn't pore over every page, I did run a search with "Pitt Meadwos" and ironically, the Co-Op near where I live actually had a bunch of chicks from Iowa ordered in at one point! Unfortunately nothing on the actual by-laws part.

I'm thinking I have a battle on my hands. I really only want to raise 3, maximum 4 hens ((I think that's all my modest doghouse can accept), but with the bylaw in place, I'm a little worried.

Back
Top Bottom