Chickens in poor condition & not laying

Ariella’s Mum

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2018
Hi All, I have 5 chickens here in the UK. They have all stopped laying for about a month now. It started when one, a 3yr old faverolle was egg bound (in July) I got her through that & she successfully laid at least one egg since. Then my other Faverolle became aggressive- no idea why. She’s not too bad now but is picking on the rest of the hens. They have all lost condition & gone through a moult. The grumpy faverolle is the last to be moulting, so nearly through that now. Do you think they’ll start laying once they’ve finished moulting or will I have to wait till spring? I feed layers pellets & some table scraps should I give a different food? That for any advice xx

Hi All, I have 5 chickens here in the UK. They have all stopped laying for about a month now. It started when one, a 3yr old faverolle was egg bound (in July) I got her through that & she successfully laid at least one egg since. Then my other Faverolle became aggressive- no idea why. She’s not too bad now but is picking on the rest of the hens. They have all lost condition & gone through a moult. The grumpy faverolle is the last to be moulting, so nearly through that now. Do you think they’ll start laying once they’ve finished moulting or will I have to wait till spring? I feed layers pellets & some table scraps should I give a different food? That for any advice xx
Feeding a higher protein feed, and giving some animal protein 'treats', will help them thru the molt and to regain good condition. That might help with the picking....but could be a crowding issue too.
Tell us more about your coop...dimensions and pics would be helpful.

How long should they have a light on for? Not sure if I can set one up as have no power to the coop.
You need power for supplemental lighting, light needs a timer is needed for consistent duration.

Back
Top Bottom