CHICKENS IN SANTA ANA, CA

mshap

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Southern CA
THE MEETING HAS BEEN POSTPONED TO NEXT TUESDAY, THE 24TH. SAME TIME AND PLACE.

The issue of backyard chickens in Santa Ana - specifically the prohibitive distance requirement of 100' - is scheduled to be on the agenda of the upcoming City Council Public Safety Committee Meeting to be held on Tuesday, April 17, at 5:30. The meeting will take place in the Santa Ana Police Department Community Room, at 60 Civic Center Plaza. We would love to fill the room with suupporters and encourage those of you living in the area to join us whether or not you're a Santa Ana resident.

Thank you!
Helen

Last edited:
HOORAY!!!

At last night's meeting the Public Safety Committee approved reducing the ordinance's distance requirement from 100' to 30'. The issue will now have to go to the City Council for approval.

Thank you to those of you that came out last night and to everyone else for your support and encouragement.

Helen

i saw the article about the lady who had to get rid of her chickens just about the time i was thinking about getting a couple. when that happened i put it on hold. but with this new information i will get a couple when it goes through.

Last edited:
Tonight at 6:00 the Santa Ana City Council will consider the proposed amendment to the city's current ordinance re chickens. The proposed amendment reduces the distance requirement from 100' to 30'. Hopefully this will go through without any problem, but we can't be sure that it will. It would helpful if those of you in the area could attend tonight's meeting to show support. The meeting is at 6:00 in the Police Department's Community Room, 60 Civic Center Plaza, Santa Ana,CA.

Truckguy - hope you can make it to tonight's meeting, too.

"Like" us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/#!/SantaAnaChickens

Email us at - [email protected]

Thanks!
Helen

Last edited:
Here's the update:

At Monday night's City Council meeting the amended ordinance was presented to the council for the first time (1st Reading). After some discussion the council voted to approve the revised ordinance. HOORAY!!

It has to go before the council again for a 2nd reading. This should happen at the next CC meeting on June 4. I guess they'll vote on it again, and if it passes again, it becomes law in X number of days. (Still trying to find out the steps involved.)

If there's anyone out there in Santa Ana wanting chickens I guess you can go get some chicks and get them started in a brooder in the house. By the time they're old enough to move outside they should be legal. :)

Hooray!! The proposed ordinance amending the 100' distance requirement for keeping chickens to 30' passed the final step. The new code goes into effect 30 days after the 2nd reading/vote - July 4th!

Back
Top Bottom