chickens in the flower beds

stonykill

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Canaan Ny
Just purchased my annuals and have an established garden,,,, The chickens threw around my chicks n hens ( flower) and trampled many of my other flowers. Has any one used the sensor water sprinklers. They shoot a large stream at cats and anything that gets in the garden.

We just put rings of dogwire around anything we don't want dug up. Keeps the puppy out, too. Yes, it looks a bit tacky at first, but not as bad as a yard full of craters!

To a chicken, the whole world is its salad bowl, and underneath that is its dust bath tub.

To keep both chickens and flowerbeds, you will need to fence either the chickens or the flowers. Or both.

One thing that has worked is to place flat heavy things around the roots of the plants, pieces of board, tile, pavers, etc. Then when the chickens dig they won't uproot the plants. This may compromise the plants' ability to get watered well. And it doesn't prevent the birds from eating the leaves if they find them particularly tasty. I have done this with larger perennials in my bird-and-butterfly garden, and now that they're well rooted the birds don't bother them.

I don't know how well that sprinkler would work to discourage chickens, let us know if you try it.

We used deer netting, and stakes. You barely can see it, and they don't like it at all, so they stay clear of it. Once in a while one will get in, but not very often. So far our potatoes are blooming nicely and our tomatoes and egg plant are starting to really grow. Before we put up the deer netting, they tried to nibble everything down to nothing.

Back
Top Bottom