Chickens in the Rain?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shrader, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's been raining: a rarity in LA these days.
    My 24-week old chickens have never seen it.
    Their run is all muddy and the rain is coming down steadily, but not hard,
    and the girls are staying outside.
    Their feet are all muddy and their feathers seem to be a little darn.
    What should I do? Should I herd them into the coop?
    They seem to be okay, and I hate to, well, coop them up if I don't have to.
    Advice? Thanks.

2. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are experiencing their first rain too (also in L.A.) They wait for a lull, run out and play and when it starts up again they head for the coop. At least it's a nice warm rain storm for their first daytime experience. They didn't like the thunder and lightening last week during the night.
    Cathy

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    There is no reason to herd them inside. They are outdoor animals after all (livestock, in fact, if you want to be technical). They enjoy the rain, just like any wild bird enjoys a bird bath. Rain is cooling and cleansing and feels good. They know when they've had enough, and will go in.

4. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Ours spend more time in the coop than out when it's raining, but it doesn't really seem to bother them. Even when it really pours they just stand bolt-upright till it passes into a drizzel then go about their business. If they have access to the coop (or under a porch, bush, etc) they'll take shelter if they get uncomfortable.

-Frank

5. dragonlili

dragonlili Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    N Middle TN
    My kids made up a song to the tune of "turkey in the straw" called chickens in the rain! We enjoy watching them forage when it's raining. Seems like a lot of tasty bugs come up when it rains [​IMG]

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

My silkies stay out in the rain and get soaked, i dont think they feel it with all their fluffy feathers, My other non silkies run for cover after the first drops.

7. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine enjoy a shower... in moderation. When they don't want anymore, they go in. So far--no problems!!!

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Yup, my kids saw their first rain (also in los angeles). i got to find all the spots where my tarp-city roof leaked. i was worried about my silkies getting wet feet, so held each of them in my arms and toweled off their tootsies. Some did not appreciate the attention. But they're all fine. No one wanted to go inside the coops or hutches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by