Chickens in the rain

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cindy99, Sep 30, 2010.

1. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    I let them out of the coop this morning and they have been out ever since! Both of them are soaked and it's like they don't even notice. Henry came up and peeked in the door so I opened it to tell him how silly he was and the two of them just ran right in! We had to carry them all the way out to the chicken coop. They seem to be staying in there for right now. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    I used to worry about mine(this is our first year w/ chickens) being out in the rain. unless it's absolutely torrential rain, they'll wander around like nothing's going on, sometimes they get soaked! they have a nice dry coop and a covered run and several other places to take shelter, but noooo...silly chickens. [​IMG] [​IMG]

but now that it's getting colder, I just might be shooing them in the coop more often

3. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    I bought a bird seed suet that I'm going to hang in the coop to see if giving them somethng to do in there will keep them more interested in staying dry.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine are usually out when it rains, unless it's a heavy downfall. They can get pretty bedraggled if it rains lightly all day. Never seems to bother them. They know where the coop is, and go in during really heavy rain -- then are out again as soon as it slows down a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by