Chickens in the rain

fdehaven

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 17, 2009
Woodland, PA
We had a steady down pour of rain today. My 7 RIR stayed out in it all day. Is this normal or should I worry? They were so wet they looked like drowned rats. Is there anything I need to do to keep them from getting sick?

No. They're fine. Crazy, but fine. Rain doesn't cause illness, bacteria and viruses do. Rain may make them more susceptible, but that's a bit of a long shot. Don't worry about them.

Mine do that too, litte drown rats they look like! Now if it is snowing forget it, they do the on foot out and then back in thing. No way they are going out in that stuff!

when smoke stands in the rain the feathers on the top of her head droop a lot . this makes her look really funny
lol.png

We had 6" of rain in one day, I found 4 of my 11 week olds in the pitch dark, soaked to the bone--they didn't find their way up the ramp and into a dry coop... They are fine...

You had the same rain we did. It's amazing the little dears didn't float away. Mine seemed to stay in. When I checked on them in the afternoon, when the rain let up, nobody was really wet and the coop was packed. They're laying was down though. I don't know if the rain had anything to do with it or not.

We've just had our first proper rainfall since our girls went outside - 4" - and they came and went as they wanted in it. Got a bit wet, but didn't seem to care too much about it as long as they were able to get somewhere dry, which they had!

Well, we just had 24 inches of rain in five days and all three of my chickens did just fine. One is broody so she stayed in the nesting box all day. When I would get home from work and check on them, I would find the other two under the coop, soaking wet staring out at the rain. I would walk up and they would just say "Braaawk". The first day, I was nervous and put them all in the coop and shut the door at 5:30. The I realized that there are chickens who live in places where it snows and they are just fine. So all the other nights I "closed up shop" at the normal time. They are all just fine. Maybe a little wet and pathetic looking, but chickens are just fine in the rain. Silly chickens!

Back
Top Bottom