1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens in the rain

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by herbandteas, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Mine go in and out of the rain. I was really amazed that they first shunned their first snow, then went on out picking with the ducks.

2. dallandrafae

dallandrafae Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2011
    My girls love to stand in the rain, i put a cover over the pen to protect them from the really heavy rain but they have a bench that is in the rain if they fancy a shower [​IMG]

3. psnider1968

psnider1968 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Alabama
    My chickens are in a driving rain as I write this. They seem to be finding worms and having fun while their at it. They are soaked.[​IMG]

4. maggiec1951

maggiec1951 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    west central florida
    My girls don't seem to mind the rain at all, either. There is plenty of shelter in their run - the coop, under the coop and 3 trees very close together but if they are free ranging in the yard they will continue to do whatever they are doing. When it thunders and lightens they take cover though, so maybe they aren't so terribly ditzy after all. Their little minds just don't work like ours do. They are my girls and I love them no matter what!!

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:With light rain, only response is holding feathers tighter keeping water from getting in. With heavy rain events they often temporarily quit foraging and stand with head elevated and tail down, again to keep water from getting into feathers. With extreme or prolonged rain events they will often seek cover and will even reduce feed intake for a couple days.

It does not take a lot of rain to reduce their abilty to fly and if they are wet enough it makes it more difficult to stay warm. Rain is particularly a problem during moult.

2 people like this.
  6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Oh yeah, it's very normal. [​IMG] Rain in Australia is quite sparse, so I think they enjoy it, silly things. [​IMG] When it rains here, it usually pours, but they don't mind. We go to feed them and there they are, waiting at the gate, feathers matted and soaked to the bone. [​IMG]

7. LeonaGD

LeonaGD New Egg

Jan 20, 2012
    Northern California
    I have three 7 month old Australorps who are thoroughly enjoying the rain here in Northern California. They have a protected coop/run, with an addtional outdoor run (I call it a play yard) that has a partial overhang - but they spend the whole day just beyond the overhang getting drenched. They are a joy!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  8. TEXASSCENT

TEXASSCENT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    WE HAD A LOT OF RAIN YESTERDAY. MY CHICKENS WERE RAISED DURING OUR DROUGHT MONTHS. I THINK THEY DONT KNOW WHAT RAIN IS. ANYWAY THEY WERE SOAKED AND DIDNT SEEM TO SEEK SHELTER AT ALL. I PENNED THEM IN THE COOP WITH A HEAT LIGHT HOPING IT WOULD HELP THEM DRY OVERNIGHT AND NOT CATCH A CHICKEN COLD. ARE THEY ACTING NORMAL?

9. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Hi,

I live in texas too (I assume you do), so I think we got hit by the same rain. My girls did the same things. It's normal, don't worry. Chickens are pretty hardy.

10. Dutch552

Dutch552 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Hart County, KY
    Mine were out in the 40 degree rain all day yesterday. I found them warm and dry on their roost when I checked on them shortly after dark. Crazy chickens...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by