Chickens in the snow!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by laura261, Dec 15, 2013.

1. laura261

laura261 New Egg

Dec 7, 2013
    I just wanted to share some pictures I took during the Ohio snowstorm this weekend- starting with this picture of my chickens trudging through ~6 inches of snow. They stayed in all morning, but my adventurous girl, Gemma, led a couple others (Pearl and Taco) through the backyard. This is their first real accumulation of snow, so I think they were, in part, simply exploring!

[​IMG]

Here is Taco, stopping for a photo op (she's an ISA brown) :
    [​IMG]

My other three thought they were crazy and stayed in the covered run. Rita and Sasha are visible in the doorway (white leghorns)
    [​IMG]

They soon all decided it was time for a quick nap (L to R- Pearl, Gemma, Taco, Sasha, Rita; not pictured, Buffy who scratching in the run):
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy my chickens' adventures! Needless to say, I just finished an extensive search on preventing frostbitten toes. Consensus is, the girls will come in when they get too chilly. But I'll probably lock them in the run if they are out standing in the snow for a long time, sometimes they don't seem all that bright.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] great pictures !

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I still clearly remember last years chickens in the snow pics, seems like we just went through winter! Good pictures!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Good looking birds. I love the picture of them walking in a straight line. Follow the leader.

5. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    You have some real troopers there!

I love that chickens are so curious and willing to explore their surroundings.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You have some really brave chickens! Mine are absolutely terrified of the snow! LOL

Great looking birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by