chickens in the snow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mistylady, Aug 31, 2008.

1. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    In the winter when there is snow out does anyone let their chickens out in it? I can put up plastic so they will have some snow free zones. I was just thinking about how people get cabin fever and was wondering how to keep my chickens happy during the cold weather. Any help would be appreciated. [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Doesn't snow here often but when it does, the birds still come out. They go hang out under trees, in the car port, near the garage, and their most favorite.. on the door steps to leave us wonderful exit and entry surprises on shoes. :eek:

They just trudge right though:

[​IMG]

3. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I open the lil door for them so they can chose to go out or stay in. I also have some areas like logs and an old tire for them to roost on to get their toes off the snow. They like that.

I have to kick off the snow sometimes.

The days that is frigid and there are advisories...I don't open the door but keep it shut so the wind doesn't go howlin in and make an *unnecessary and unwelcome draft.

I also have a cord extended from my garage to their coop and hook up a couple of heat lamps.

I've still had them get a little bit of frost bite on their combs but never too bad.

me,
    g

*had to correct my blaring misspelling.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The first snow of the winter mine usually aren't too sure what to make of it, but by the end of winter it doesn't phase them.

5. onebuggirl

onebuggirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    I have an Eglu does anyone else have one too? If so what do you do for the winter? Will they be alright in there?

6. mistylady

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    I love the photo of the chicken in the snow! Thank you!

I'm glad they will get used to the snow and come out in it after a while. [​IMG] I'll just keep them in when its really bad outside. The winter will be here before we know it!

Thank you everyone!

Onebuggirl, I'd put some straw bales around it to keep it warmer for sure. I hope someone else can help more!

7. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    My chooks love the snow season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mistylady

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Those photos are GREAT!!!!! Thank you!

9. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Quote:Hi just wanted to let ya know I read on here this past week that if it gets in the low teens you can prevent frostbite on the combs and wattles by putting petroeum jelly on them. Hope this helps

10. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

LOVE the photo of the chickens on the sled! Woo hoo.........bring on the snow!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by