chickens in town and flies

I bought the disposible stinky bait traps that are a plastic bag. The top you can screw closed when you are ready to toss the thing. They are a lot better to dispose of than the kind that have a plastic jar on them....

My TSC guy says EVERYONE says that flies are a lot worse this year. We've had several dry years here (I think I mowed my lawn exactly 5 times ALL YEAR last year it was so dry - I usually mow weekly...)

This year it's been a lot wetter and so a lot more insects in general.

to: RhettandSarah's mom:
yuckyuck.gif

lau.gif
:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau
gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig
OMGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!I'm still laughing at your post

"We had a massive fly problem just do to the dog poop issue between our dog and the neighbors dog. Didnt help that only we cleaned the dog poo up from our own yard.
And I can say that the stinky fly bait traps worked WONDERFULLY. But.
OMG the stink made using the pool and enjoying the back yard impossible for me. It is disgusting. I tossed the thing in the trash last Friday.. and let me tell you how wonderful that was for all involved. I double bagged the thing. Put it in a larger trash bag. Then inside a trash can with a secure lid. Put it out on the sidewalk for collection.
There were HUNDREDS of flies all over the trash can.
I couldnt sit on the front porch. And it was a good 10 feet from the house. They finally picked it and dumped it and the trash can still wreaks of it. I can only imagine what the collection guys thought was in there. It was that bad.
I will not get another one of those. As much as I think the fly strips are gross visually. And dont work as well IMHO. I would rather use those and just not look at it, except to dispose of it. Then to ever have the stink trap in my yard again. I will be cleaning the coop and run every day if need be. Might even get some fly predators. But no more stink bait traps.

True, all very true, but the stink bait trapsdo work VERY WELL & I had thousands of the rascals. After 2 days of
not being able to be in the back yard, I moved the traps
to the far end of the yard by the alley. I can't smell it
when I go out into the yard now:yuckyuck

To AllCHookUp

DE in the crumbles and dogfood have almost elminated my problem now. DE is very safe for even human babies. It DOES NOT adversely affect the digestive tract of mammmals, birds, reptiles or fish. In fact it is an excellent wormer for baby chicks, puppies, kittens or
even people babies and children. Heck my grandfather sold Permaguard brand in the 1960's and '70's & would eat handfulls of the stuff as part of his sales pitch. :eek:
Just use a mask when you mix it initially as the diatoms can cause lung issues if breathed in regularly over long periods of time. I do dust my dogs when the fleas outpace my other naturopathic methods. And now my chicks to prevent lice.
The little dust that they breath in a very OCCASIONAL & LIMITED basis isn't going to cause you or them any problems. I'm 45 and have been around the stuff in one form or another since I was 3.
wink.png

Our yard isnt big enough.
sad.png

To teach the neighbors a lesson I staple gunned the traps hanger to the fence. I mean if I am cleaning up the dog poop on my side of the fence the least they could do is the same.
I am sure every time they went out to their side yard they got a good WHIFF of rotting meat along with the piles of dog poop.

I will have to add the DE to the feed once they are outside. Anything that works and doesnt stink like those traps.
sickbyc.gif

i have lived on a dairy farm all my life, and every time i open the door to the house, FLIES! like hundreds of them! we finally got an electric bug zapper and it is keeping the flies down definatly! my poor mom has to clean up after the flies, its non stop!

OK another question on fly control.

I've sprinkled the "fly predators" around from the first shipment. Have the stinky-bait traps in the backyard. Now I am thinking about pyrethrin-based sprays sold to farms. Such as: http://www.cbproproducts.com "clean air purge" which is a 1% pyrethrin spray used in dairies, etc.

Is this chemical safe for chickens? I know there are hazards and that birds are more vulnerable. Anyone know?

Next year I am getting fly predators, this year I have been spraying the chicken area with bronco fly spray, I don't like using it but it helps. I had a hard time finding something with low levels of permethrins as those are toxic to cats and I have cats. Plus I have a pond not far from the chickens so I don't want spray in there. The spray does help with the flies plus it has citronella in it so it smells nice. I also spray the areas with a mixture of lemon dishsoap, ammonia, and mint mouthwash diluted with water, it cuts odors and helps with pests.

you can try using a golden rod fly trap. The smell is actually pleasant and it does a great job. Very sticky so keep it high away from your chickens or low flying birds lol..

I also had a real bad fly problem. I bought a fly trap that works good! Id suggest that you get one. They helped me alot! I would wear rubber gloves when you add the stinky stuff to the water though, otherwise youll smell like rotten meat for two days! No kidding, it really stinks!

Our backyard is INFESTED with flies. Between the great dane next door and the little yapper on the other side, with our chickens, there a lot of poop! We keep our run raked daily and the compost covered, but the neighbors with the great dane mow the waste into their grass - which attracts the flies in - who have found their way to our run! We have dusted with Permaguard DE (coop, run, feed) and it didn't dent our fly problem at all. I even sprinkled it on the flies, who happily sat on the pile of poo and moved when they felt like it. We have a stinky fly trap that has caught 100's in 24 hours, but the flies are still a problem. We have 4 black australorps in an urban setting. I'm praying that my neighbors don't complain to the H.A. So far, we have D.E., fly strips, fly traps and stall dry in our deep bed ark but it's still horrible! Any hints would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Back
Top Bottom