Chickens in tree

Abriana

Spicy Sugar Cookie
6 Years
Apr 26, 2017
The moon
My three cockerels and four pullets, who are about fifteen-seventeen wks old, keep jumping up in the tree or perching on the roof of the coop right on the peak of it. It is driving me nuts climbing onto the roof of the coop every night to grab flappy pullets and I'm tired of poking cockerels with a stick. When they fly down I'm scared they will hurt themselves. Any advice to get them to go in the coop instead of tree? (once they go down they go in) Or am i doomed to poking cockerels with a stick and climbing on to coop roofs for five months before I move the fence?

Instinct is to roost as high as they can, so unless you make these areas iinaccessible they will continue to seek them. One possible alternative is to lure them into the coop just before they normally go to roost and then close them in. If you repeat this for a week they"may" adjust their routine and accept the coop as the place they roost

Instinct is to roost as high as they can, so unless you make these areas iinaccessible they will continue to seek them. One possible alternative is to lure them into the coop just before they normally go to roost and then close them in. If you repeat this for a week they"may" adjust their routine and accept the coop as the place they roost
Front line approach for me.

Back
Top Bottom