Chickens in winter

Poultry keeper12

Songster
Mar 27, 2018
Hey Guys, Im not a chicken master defiantly when it comes too winter. I know that chickens do not lay as much as they would in winter, but I need to know what would keep my girls happy. We get up too four feet of snow were we live, and I don't want them stuffed in that coop which would make them sick. if any of you have any suggestions that would be most helpful. Thanks

Poultry keeper

My chickens don't especially care for the snow so I go out and clear their coop ramp and run. They'll go outside then and run around, soaking up whatever bit of sunshine that comes along.

If you're concerned they'll get bored and start pecking each other, you can try some 'boredom busters'. There are several posts and at least one article on those (the Search feature will help you find them).

Good luck!

My chickens don't especially care for the snow so I go out and clear their coop ramp and run. They'll go outside then and run around, soaking up whatever bit of sunshine that comes along.

If you're concerned they'll get bored and start pecking each other, you can try some 'boredom busters'. There are several posts and at least one article on those (the Search feature will help you find them).

Good luck!
Alright thank you, the thing with me is that I shovel the snow, and they don't come out. And I already have one of my hens that already has a bad infection by other chickens pecking her. I do think it also is a lack of boredom.

Hey Guys, Im not a chicken master defiantly when it comes too winter. I know that chickens do not lay as much as they would in winter, but I need to know what would keep my girls happy. We get up too four feet of snow were we live, and I don't want them stuffed in that coop which would make them sick. if any of you have any suggestions that would be most helpful. Thanks

Poultry keeper
I do not get that much snow (thank goodness) but we do get snow. We just had a warm spell and MORE RAIN :barnie so we had a good melt off and the grass is exposed again. I have a 192 sq ft run attached to my coop. Most of it is covered and protected from snow. The run is just as secure as the coop so I never close the pop door. My chickens just roam around the covered run when they can't get out to range in their 1/4 acre pen. They will, however, come out to walk along shoveled paths and get under my deck, porch and mudroom addition and even wander over to the neighbors where they spend an inordinate amount of time.
If you add a good sized covered run to your coop, this is basically an extension of their living space and it helps a great deal.
My chickens had to be bribed with yogurt to walk down shoved paths. They will now willingly come right out and wander around.

I do not get that much snow (thank goodness) but we do get snow. We just had a warm spell and MORE RAIN :barnie so we had a good melt off and the grass is exposed again. I have a 192 sq ft run attached to my coop. Most of it is covered and protected from snow. The run is just as secure as the coop so I never close the pop door. My chickens just roam around the covered run when they can't get out to range in their 1/4 acre pen. They will, however, come out to walk along shoveled paths and get under my deck, porch and mudroom addition and even wander over to the neighbors where they spend an inordinate amount of time.
If you add a good sized covered run to your coop, this is basically an extension of their living space and it helps a great deal.
My chickens had to be bribed with yogurt to walk down shoved paths. They will now willingly come right out and wander around.
Thank you for your post. Yes I do have a run, and I sometimes bribe them with some meal worms from a local store. but they come out them go back in, (at least they get a little bit of outside time) I also open some windows, and i water them a lot so they are hydrated.

Thank you for your post. Yes I do have a run, and I sometimes bribe them with some meal worms from a local store. but they come out them go back in, (at least they get a little bit of outside time) I also open some windows, and i water them a lot so they are hydrated.
Is your run covered and shielded from the wind? I stapled up tarps on the prevailing wind sides of my run and covered top of the section that is normally exposed.

@Poultry keeper12 are the feeders and waterer in the coop? If they're out in the run, your birds will come out to eat and drink at least. If you have the feeders and waterer inside the coop, they don't have much incentive to go outside.

Is your run covered and shielded from the wind? I stapled up tarps on the prevailing wind sides of my run and covered top of the section that is normally exposed.
No my pen is not shielded by tarp, but I have strong fencing. Would it help if I did have tarp around my fencing??

@Poultry keeper12 are the feeders and waterer in the coop? If they're out in the run, your birds will come out to eat and drink at least. If you have the feeders and waterer inside the coop, they don't have much incentive to go outside.
Yes I do have the waterer and feed bowl in the coop. should I move them out?

No my pen is not shielded by tarp, but I have strong fencing. Would it help if I did have tarp around my fencing??
The tarps are to block the wind. If your run is not covered, you will have to shovel it out when it snows. If you cover the sides of the run to block the prevailing winds (North and West) they will likely come out to enjoy the space.
You don't have to go broke on tarps. I always seem to have a tarp with some holes in it that wouldn't be good for anything other than a wind block. You could even put up thick plastic that you could get from a big box store. But it would have to be well secured. If it flaps around, it will startle the chickens. I have wood framing so I just took my pneumatic stapler out and stapled the tarps up in about 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom