Chickens in winter

Pics

Jsdnxtr

Chirping
Jun 4, 2018
Vancouver British Columbia Canada
this is my second winter with my 4 chickens. However this is my first winter we have had significant snowfall. My chickens clearly don’t like the snow. Even though no snow is in their run. They are not coming out of the coop. I placed water and food in the coop. And put a light source in the coop. Safely of course. Should I be worried or is it normal for them to stay in the coop?

this is my second winter with my 4 chickens. However this is my first winter we have had significant snowfall. My chickens clearly don’t like the snow. Even though no snow is in their run. They are not coming out of the coop. I placed water and food in the coop. And put a light source in the coop. Safely of course. Should I be worried or is it normal for them to stay in the coop?
Normal.
Is your run covered and protected from wind? If so they will generally stay out in the run even if it's snowing.

In 6 years, my chickens have never stepped foot in snow. I think it's pretty normal. I just have to watch for fighting, my chickens are always free ranged so the sudden confinement can cause a few fights.

9.5 months old...

IMG_20190202_162007162.jpg
IMG_20190202_162130476.jpg

Chickens are, well, chicken when it comes to snow. They often choose to spend more time in the coop. They can learn that it doesn't have to be so scary. You said there's not snow in the run. Can they see this from a window? I find that if I clear the snow from the ground (or spread straw there) that the chickens see from their window, so they now see some familiar dirt, they will come out to see what's going on, but if all they can see from their window is snow, they hide inside until they get hungry enough to be brave.

Chickens are, well, chicken when it comes to snow. They often choose to spend more time in the coop. They can learn that it doesn't have to be so scary. You said there's not snow in the run. Can they see this from a window? I find that if I clear the snow from the ground (or spread straw there) that the chickens see from their window, so they now see some familiar dirt, they will come out to see what's going on, but if all they can see from their window is snow, they hide inside until they get hungry enough to be brave.

I guess mine are either brave or retarded. See post #5...

Back
Top Bottom