Chickens in with the Horses

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vortec, Feb 4, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Can a flock of chickens be in the run with a bunch of horses? I've heard horses are docile and wouldn't mind them and if anything like the company. Is that true? I'm interested as the run for the horses is going to be a lot bigger then the chicken run( both have chicken wire ) Thanks!

vortec

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

It depends on the horses & the chickens. [​IMG] I have a horse that loves to do the Peruvian hat-dance on them. [​IMG]

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I would say yes to this as long as enough space is available. Just in case one of the horses gets a little close.

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Our horses pay no attention to our chickens. [​IMG]

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not put them in with the horses for living. When mine free range in the spring they go and visit the horses and eat the poo and any left overs.

6. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Oh my red boy would have a melt down if chickens were in with my horses. [​IMG]

7. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Oh my red boy would have a melt down if chickens were in with my horses. [​IMG]

8. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    My mare is happy to have the chickens around her - they are a bit to cocky sometimes and she did stand on one by mistake! That was the chicken's fault. I would say go for it - no problems to report!

9. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Where I board there are over 40 chickens that free range during the day.
    Rhett doesnt seem to mind them at all. In fact last summer there was one in particular that was always in his stall when I got there.

They go through the manure and tear it up, eat the grain he drops and eat the bugs. All good. [​IMG]

10. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    The horses will warm up the room with their body heat, which is great for the chickens if it gets cold in the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by