Chickens keep dumping their feeder, why?

mountainbunny

Songster
May 26, 2016
Central Arkansas
I use a hanging gravity feeder for my four girls. Same feeder I've always used for them and the same exact pellet food as always. In the past week they have started dumping the food out until the feeder is empty and food is scattered all over the coop floor. Nothing has changed in their routine or behavior...other than dumping their food. Any ideas on why they are doing this and how to stop it?

I use a hanging gravity feeder for my four girls. Same feeder I've always used for them and the same exact pellet food as always. In the past week they have started dumping the food out until the feeder is empty and food is scattered all over the coop floor. Nothing has changed in their routine or behavior...other than dumping their food. Any ideas on why they are doing this and how to stop it?
Most likely they are bored and have developed a new hobby:) You might have to get a different kind of feeder now?

Sounds like chickens being chickens. I no longer give mine free choice food because of that behavior. I gave them wet food for about six months because they wasted less and made less mess. Their table manners improved some, but they just love scratching through dry food.

Only thing I can think to do right now is just put the feeder on the ground so they can't swing it. I secured it with some rocks so hopefully they don't knock it over! Can't really afford a new type feeder right now. Hopefully this works. Sound ok?

Mine do that occasionally, usually when they have been stuck in their run for a few days due to rain. I usually let them free range for at least a few hours each day. I have noticed with mine it is generally one chicken that does it. They did it when I switched feeders also.

Same feeder I've always used for them and the same exact pellet food as always. In the past week they have started dumping the food out
Is the feed bad? Smell the feed, does it have a strong smell? Is it damp or moldy?
Is it stored outside in hot or humid conditions with wide swings in temperature between night and day.
I keep my feed in my house to avoid those changes. 20180602_143543.jpg I buy a 25# bag of feed for my flock of three. It lasts them around 7 weeks this time of year.
My experience with feed stored in my house goes bad after 5 months past mill date. It gets a strong smell and egg production drops by half. Feed stored outside will not last nearly as long in a hot humid climate. GC

Back
Top Bottom