Chickens keep dumping their feeder, why?

Just a thought, have you raise the feeder a little higher? To the height that only their beak/head can reach it to peck and eat? My chickens used to do the same thing until one day I was @hardware store and saw some wire cable with adjustable fastener/clip for less than few bucks and used them. All my feeders are now hanging with these adjustable cable and rarely see scattered feeds.

You can also use rope since you probably have them hanging your feeder already just make it higher than usual.

I think the feed may be a bit soured. It's the last of a 50lb bag, so they'll have fresh feed tomorrow. I'm also working on ideas to keep the feeder from being able to swing. I can also try raising it. Also I threw a bunch of pine shavings in the coop for them to scratch through. The floor had gotten kind of boring for then I think. And trying to let them out more, we have so many Hawks and big dogs about so one of us needs to be outside to supervise.

Are your hens trying to roost on the feeder, and accidentally dumping it that way? I love hanging feeders for just this reason-- no poop in their food!

They are definitely not roosting on it. It's right by the coop door in front. Their roosting area is up in the back and I've never seen them roost anywhere bit the roost area.... Except when they were " preteen" aged and new to living in the coop. They used to lay on the ground of the coop near the door and cry when the sun went down...til they figured out where their roost was and got used to normal night and day ( I brooded them indoors with a heat lamp two years ago). Sorry to go on a tangent...just a cute story of remembering them as babies.

Back
Top Bottom