Chickens keep going into neighbor's yard

I have no idea what is over there that they want so badly because I have so much space. They have a lot of leaves on the ground but so do I! I have them whistle trained to come back for scratch but they come back for the treat then run right back over to the neighbor's. I try to keep an eye on them but when I am gone I can't.
I’m severely convinced “The grass is greener on the other side” is heavily influence to chickens

A temporary solution, is to leave them locked up for several days. I have insane predators, so I have to have a set up where they can go into lock down 24/7 if needed. But one of the things I have noticed, is that if they have been locked down, they tend to stay near the coop and run, even when let out. And that the more and longer you let them out, the farther they go.

Mrs K

A temporary solution, is to leave them locked up for several days. I have insane predators, so I have to have a set up where they can go into lock down 24/7 if needed. But one of the things I have noticed, is that if they have been locked down, they tend to stay near the coop and run, even when let out. And that the more and longer you let them out, the farther they go.

Mrs K
Mine go farther as they deplete forage close to where they are confined.

Thanks everyone. I am going to fence in an area around their coop and will have to leave them in there until the afternoon then let them out for just a few hours at the end of the day instead of all day long. It kills me to have to do that as I love having them free range and they are so happy but it's so stressful seeing them go into the neighbor's yard many many times a day. Even when I am home I call them back all the time but I can't spend my entire day doing that.

Thanks everyone. I am going to fence in an area around their coop and will have to leave them in there until the afternoon then let them out for just a few hours at the end of the day instead of all day long. It kills me to have to do that as I love having them free range and they are so happy but it's so stressful seeing them go into the neighbor's yard many many times a day. Even when I am home I call them back all the time but I can't spend my entire day doing that.
Provide some stimulates for them in their run. Even burying some treats so they can scratch and they will continue to be happy chooks :)

First I would try opening up some soil about 6-10 deep and quite big if possible. I can't put a shovel in the ground without an anxious feathered crowd watching what comes up. They also have 100' to 500' of quick setup/ mobile animal fencing with electrical options, either online or farm store. Then you can chose their pasture per day.

My chickens keep wandering into my neighbor's yard even though they have 5 acres to free-range on. My run is pretty small and so I don't like to leave them in there all the time and they are so much happier free-ranging but I really don't want them wandering into my neighbor's yard. Does anyone have any tips to keep them more contained that doesn't involve locking them in?
My chickens do the same thing. I only let them out when I am going to home all day. I have lost one of my hens because of the wandering. I do not have any tips on how to keep them in. My husband and I even clipped wings but that did not help. I just keep an eye on them and herd them back into the yard when they get out.

My chickens keep wandering into my neighbor's yard even though they have 5 acres to free-range on. My run is pretty small and so I don't like to leave them in there all the time and they are so much happier free-ranging but I really don't want them wandering into my neighbor's yard. Does anyone have any tips to keep them more contained that doesn't involve locking them in?

Offer your neighbor free eggs (ongoing free eggs) and remind them the chickens kill bugs. Do the neighbors mind? Mine don't and they get free eggs, so they even watch out for my hens.

So I haven’t tried first off- but my grandma grew up with a ton of chickens as a kid, I just started raising mine. She said if you take their head and hold it to the ground, then draw a line on the ground with your finger from their beak, it hypnotizes them. They won’t cross the line. She said it worked every time and it doesn’t hurt them but actually works like the saying “the line is drawn, don’t cross it”

You can get deer fencing in 100’ rolls for about $1 a ft. For 7’ high. It’s vinyl, black and comes in various heights. You can zip tie to trees or use those metal stakes . I got it so that I could keep them out of my garden. I use it to keep deer-off my fruit trees. It’s strong and “invisible” i put it up myself. Go in line…I think it was deer fence.com…it’s been 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom