chickens killing chickens

julhir

Hatching
Aug 11, 2020
I have been keeping chickens for over a year without any issues. Recently something over several evening got in and killed everyone in the back two runs/coups. we made sure everything was secure and purchased two chickens for the smaller run and 5 chickens for the larger run after several days i opened the door between the two runs so they could mingle - all was well - they were separated at night and put back in their own coup - after several days of this one night they all got into the same coup and i closed the door - all was well - this happened for four nights - when i opened the coup this morning one was dead another was almost dead and two were injured. They got along great no pecking or fighting even when getting in the coup together. I am shocked this happened - any thoughts. by the way all the injuries were to head and neck

coop completely closed up tight only thing open are the ventilation doors but they are hardware wire on them nothing has been moved.

how are they getting in with everything closed up> coop doors are closed and still closed in the morning

how are they getting in with everything closed up> coop doors are closed and still closed in the morning

Photos of your set up would really help to assess how predators might be able to get in.

Chickens can kill each other but you'd see actual evidence of fighting, not just dead birds.

Back
Top Bottom