chickens killing one another

I have polish that are nine months old still on grower because they have not started laying. I was told not to switch to layer till they all were laying. Some never switch to layer...just stay with grower and add egg shells or oyster shell for calcium.

You can hang cabbages in the run for entertainment. I throw semi cooked pumpkins slices and turnips with the stems in for them. Mine really like to scratch around for seeds tossed in the run. Baked sweet potato skins are a big hit too. When I am home I let them out to free range in the yard also.
sharon

Quote:
Hi Karen- yes BYC is a great place for information and I TOTALLY agree with you- chickens are a blast- the eggs are just the icing on the cake.
In answer to a couple of your questions:

Apple Cider Vinegar (raw unfiltered) is a great way to boost the beneficial bacteria in their digestive system- but I doubt it would have any effect on their pecking. I agree with another poster about not feeding laying pellets for the younger ones- they need feed for growth still. Also on the space- 4X8 is way too small for 25 chickens if they are confined in there for more than sleeping. Although it sounds like the first batch did fine with it, which is curious -but they do have a nice large run, is the run shared by both sets of birds- all 50? If so, it may be that even though the older girls didn't bother the younger ones-the fact that the older, more dominant birds are in there- it has put stress on them and they are re-establishing their pecking order in a very aggressive way. Although I think you said they were doing it before you moved them, so you you may have a couple of " really bad bulllies" in there- you might want to observe them to see who is the culprit and doing the most pecking- then cull them, in addition to giving the younger girls their own run if possible.

As someone else said- it really does help to give them something to do- like pecking on a "flock block" (for that many girls you may need more than one so they won't fight over it and dominate it)- but it does encourage more natural pecking behavior, and is supposed to stop inner-flock pecking. You can also tie up lots of fresh greens and hang them up so the girls have to stretch and reach for it- that keeps them occupied and adds additional nutrition to their diet. That's all I can think of for now, hopefully more people will have some more ideas for you.

As far as the sex links not laying- they may be going into their first molt, and although I wouldn't expect them all to do it at the same time, they can stop laying for up to 3 months while their systems recover from their whole first year of laying eggs. It helps to add more protein again to their diet- to help them since molting is a stress too. Boss (black oiled sunflower seeds), yogurt, cheese, & wheat grass sprouts are a few things that can add more protein.

Keep us posted on what you try- and good luck- I'm sure you'll figure this out and get it straightened out- you sound like an awesome "chicken mom" ha. Post some photos of your flock if you get a chance too- we all love to see each others "feather families"
smile.png

I agree on the space being too small even with the upstairs and downstairs of the coops.
Agree too that the younger birds should be on growers as they still need more protein due to the fact that during growing they are going through alot of body changes that require the higher protein diet.

One thing I do for mine is get a wild bird seed square and break it up and toss the pieces into different areas of their run. This gives everyone a chance at the seeds as they spread out. The wild bird seed square (not thick enough to be a block) I buy for mine has peanuts, sunflower, millet, and raisens in it. Different seed blocks offer different seed and dried fruit varieties. Mine are still too young for the poultry flock block I saw at Tractor Supply as it had the calcium mixed into it.

Tossing a favorite food treat helps. As does letting them free range when we are home for a bit. They really love free ranging and it is a hoot to watch them play n forage about.
We only allow them to free range while we are where we can watch them as our property is not fenced yet and every so often someone's dogs runs through our property (very annoying).

It is hard to break the feather picking habit once a chicken gets into it whether from boredom or need of protein. The peepers seem to work really well for alot of folks. You can get the peepers that do not have the pins that are supposed to stick just as good if the pin type make you a bit squeamish. (it does to me) If this trick does not work then I agree with the other poster that you should then cull out the bullies. (either rehome (do not recommend passing trouble to someone else, but sometimes it does seem to snap the bully back to niceness) or seperate and grow to nice plumb roasting size.)

There are a lot of folks here that have different aproaches to dealing with chickie behavior so there are alot of ideas to gleem from.
Hope things work out for you and everyone gets sorted to where your chickies are peaceful again.

Protein percentages should be listed on the bags you are buying.
To increase protein right away, you could give a bit of:
tuna, cat food, chicken, beef, egg, cheese, cottage cheese etc.
Watch the cat food could be too much sodium.

I throw out BOSS and a little bit of scratch (cracked corn) into the
litter of the coop to keep them busy during the day. Too much scratch is too
much carbohydrates. Be careful.

My treat in the AM are leftover "protein of the night before", chopped spinach, etc.

I have two flock blocks: one inside, one outside.
Two hanging "treat blocks"

One inside "dust bath"

Fresh, unfrozen water. With all of the above, they are still cranky because of the weather
and will still pick on each other!!

Back
Top Bottom