Chickens laying more than an egg a day?

iBerth

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2016
Hi everyone'
1f60a.png

I have 13 hens that have been laying for 3 months now, on quite a few occasions I have been finding more eggs than chickens! Yesterday I checked around 7am no eggs, I went back to do my nightly collect and found 18 eggs, how is this possible??
Quite a few of my lady's are laying every day since they started laying!
Help me understand please, from one chicken mom to another!

It's possible, but it most likely from the day before and were tucked in the straw or you may have just not seen them. But again it is possible especially when they first start laying.

welcome-byc.gif
It's rare, but sometimes you do get a "super" layer that produces two eggs a day, instead of one. My grandparents had a hen like that, every day she'd lay an egg in the mornings and another late afternoon… They knew it was the same hen laying the two eggs daily as she laid them on their bed!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I change the straw often and make sure I turn the beds over to check for eggs! So weird that there is 18! I guess they are super little layers!

Yes I currently have one layer same spot everyday there will be an egg. She is my only tan egg producer my others are white but the other 8 just went into molt so I only get and occasional egg from them. I got her egg after she visited the spot around 9 am at 4pm my cousin the helper brought a second egg. I have a duck enclosure so I get many eggs from them but i like my chicken eggs for breakfast. Duck eggs are baking.
Yes 2 eggs are possible a day

Back
Top Bottom