Chickens Laying Problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheChad, Apr 6, 2009.

1. TheChad

TheChad Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Bucyrus Ks
    I currently have 14 hens laying and I have a large coop with 14 nesting boxes. My hens seem to only lay in about 3 of the boxes. I was wondering if I put a wooden egg in each box if they would start using the other boxes.

Thanks

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    You can give it a shot, but don't hold your breath. I have 14 laying nests and routinely find all the eggs in just a couple of them. And which nests they use changes from day to day.

Chickens are funny creatures. Some days they lay in the nests where I've planted the fake eggs, and sometimes they ignore them completely.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 6 nest boxes and the hens use about 3 a day- not the same three, but three! (go figure). I think when one starts laying the others want to add to that beginning clutch, and move to a second box when they can't wait long enough...[​IMG]

4. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I've got 30 hens and 6 boxes, and they only lay in 2 of them! And it's always the same two...

5. EggGardener

EggGardener Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Try putting some pine shavings and a small handful of straw in the other boxes. My hens like to make themselves nests by making a shallow depression in the shavings, then, as they're laying, they grab bits of straw and add it to the nest. Pretty unimpressive, as nest architecture goes, but they seem to like doing it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by