Chickens laying soft shell eggs

KitchenMama

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
My chickens seem to be frequently laying eggs with very soft shells. I am feeding them the same layer crumbles they have always eaten and I don't think anything has changed in what they are eating in the run. It is not just one chicken doing it repeatedly, either, since every now and then my one Ameracauna lays a blue soft shell egg--the other chickens lay brown eggs. Has anyone encountered this before? Any suggestions on how to correct the situation? Many thanks!

Do they have free access to crushed oyster shell? If not make sure to get some and offer free choice.

Quote:
Mine do not have any oyster shell. They are Miller fluer and are about 18 months old. They have always been in a coop off the ground with a wire floor and have only been feed complete layer mesh since they were 16 weeks old. I have never had a soft shell egg until about 2-3 weeks ago and now it is about 3 out of 4 every day??????

They've used up all the 'extra' calcium in their bodies so now you are getting soft shells. Purchase some crushed oyster shell and give them free access to it and the problem should go away.

Mine have been on a layer feed since I got them at 19 weeks. Should I supplement with oyster shells as well?

Sahmof2- When you have a 19 week hen, she's about to start laying. Once she lays her first egg, give her the added calcium in oyster shell. Let her take as much as she wants or needs, she'll know what to eat. Mine have free access to it both in the coop and in the run, never have soft shells. Actually, my customers comment on how hard the shells are.
big_smile.png

I haven't tried crushed oyster shell. I'll go out and get some right away. Like another poster, I feel like I'm getting more soft eggs than hard. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom