Chickens laying too soon; 2 dead already - Please Help

Lost #6, our Black Star - "Amelia", last night. I found her in a lethargic state when I went out to feed them in the morning. There was a single egg in the coop, not large or bloody. Her rear was a little bloody, not pouring like some of the others. Her vent remained open about dime size. She just stood there as I picked he up and brought her in the house. She stayed in the box, moving very little but more alert in the eyes and breathing better than the others that passed. She died about 10 hours after I found her.
Since so many are dying now, I am wondering just how many problems I have. Does anyone know the symptoms of ergot poisoning or anyway to know if the food I have is tainted? It does not appear moldy as far as odor and appearance. I am afraid that it may have started out a laying problem and I worsened the dilemma by feeding them tainted wheat or moldy food.

Quote:
We are currently feeding a 16% laying mash with a little grit and oyster shell, as well as a mixture of 1/2-1/2 hen scratch and wheat. Yes, they were fed in a step up method: starter-grower-layer with high quality feed. There is no way they could have been exposed to anything toxic; they are watched over carefully:)

Did you wait till they actually started laying (for the layer feed)
Often commercial breeds have very specific feeding recomendations which vary according to the specific genetic line.
Since so many are dying now, I am wondering just how many problems I have. Does anyone know the symptoms of ergot poisoning or anyway to know if the food I have is tainted?

It might indeed be quite unrelated /coincidence that this is happening right at this moment (start of lay period). Replace the feed with new (and preferably another brand > this way you eliminate the feed as a possibility of mycotoxin etc.) Replace all bedding material and clean out your coop meticulously (eliminating bedding as source of mycotoxin).
Send your birds off for a complete necropsy! This is the ony way to determine all the relevant factors contributing to death.​

Last edited:
Did you wait till they actually started laying (for the layer feed)
Often commercial breeds have very specific feeding recomendations which vary according to the specific genetic line.

Yes, we started the layer feed and oyster shells when they started to lay.​

Does anyone have any information on Botulism or "limber neck" in chickens?

Last edited:
Quote:
I posted previously:
... when I found them, just still with their head tucked under their wing. They would open their eyes if you moved them, but would not do anything but sit their in that same position until they died about six hours later...

and
...She just stood there as I picked he up and brought her in the house. She stayed in the box, moving very little but more alert in the eyes and breathing better than the others that passed. She died about 10 hours after I found her...

Research online lead me to this:
"The symptoms of limber neck or botulism are as follows: The birds become dull, inactive, refuse to eat, remain quiet; their feathers are ruffled, and the bird gradually becomes weaker. This is maifested in the legs, wings and finally in the neck, so that the bird is unable to stand, drops the wings; the muscles of the neck are out of use and the neck is limber the bird is sitting on its breast with its beak on the floor and finally complete prostrarion results and the bird lies listless on its side and in a state of coma or unconsciousness dies. Death usually occurs in less than twenty-four hours after taking in the poisionous feed."

So I was wondering if anyone had anymore information.​

How much space do they actually have? Are they pecking vents and making them bloody?
Could it be the parasite medication? Can you use that on broken skin?
Just random thoughts.

So sorry to hear about the problem. It sound like you have lost alot of chickens. I would toss the feed, get fresh stuff, but if they've gotten it into their system that may not help. I don't know if an antibiotic would help, but I would try. Best of luck, I hope that you can save some of your birds.

your vet should be able to test the feed for mold or anything else. it happened to me as a child with rabbits, lost them all to bad feed.

Quote:
They have more than adequate space according to the research that I have done online. Any pecking that I have seen is either where feathers have been pulled, or at the top of the tail. I have not seen any pecking on the actual vent area. The parasite treatment was given long before any problems occurred.

Back
Top Bottom