Chickens losing bottom feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by southerngirlkjc, Mar 14, 2015.

1. southerngirlkjc

southerngirlkjc In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    [​IMG]

Can someone please tell me what Is happening to my chickens and how to fix the problem. I am pretty sure they are not molting because I think they are too young. They will be a year old on April 1st.

I have 10 chickens but only 4 or 5 have any issue. The one pictured above is by far the worst. The others are affected but not very badly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Songster

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    That is a classic case of feather picking and a bad case. The cause could be boredom and space issues or lice and mites or both. Obseve your birds at roost time to learn about fighting/pecking issues. Listen to and watch the birds for excessive grooming and scrathching issues. Birds bothered by bugs have difficulty settling at night.

3. southerngirlkjc

southerngirlkjc In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    Thanks! I will do that!

4. newchick64

newchick64 In the Brooder

I have 2 of 4 chickens with the same problem. I've been searching the internet to figure out what the heck is causing it. Did you ever figure out what was going on? I know it's been a few years but I am at a loss. Thanks for any feedback.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Definitely from picking which can be from boredom, crowding or a deficiency. What are you feeding. That can quickly turn to cannibalism, so take it seriously.

How big is your set up?

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I agree, it looks like picking. Do you have a rooster as well?
    Photos of your coop/run along with dimensions (sq ft of each) would be helpful.
    Photos of the others girls with damage along with photos of the girls with no damage may give us a clue as well.

I would still check her over for lice/mites.
    Also tell us what you feed, including treats and how much.

Your BR pullet also have quite a fullish looking abdomen (see red arrow in photo). How does that feel? Is it hard, soft, squishy or fluid filled?
    Does she have any problems laying eggs?

A full abdomen like that I might expect in an older hen but in a pullet, I would suspect that may be excess fat or possibly and indication of reproductive problems to come.
    We can help you evaluate food/space and see if anything needs to be tweaked.

upload_2018-12-2_22-44-2.png

Cragg Klefor and oldhenlikesdogs like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: