1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens Losing Butt Feathers and Dropping Dead!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sega, Aug 31, 2011.

1. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    Have had 3 Chickens from 3 different pens drop dead within the last 7 days. Whatever is killing them seems to have something to do with them losing their feathers around their butts. All three that have died have lost the feathers around their butts and looked like they were having a hard time breathing. They get weak and then they die. One day they look ok and then a few days later they are dead. All the dead birds have been 8 month old pullets. I have started giving the rest of my Flock Duramycin 10. Hope this helps save the rest of them. Any help?????

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:I am so sorry for your losses! Have the hens been laying eggs normal. Everyday?

3. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    Yes, they are still laying eggs.

4. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    have you checked for mites??

5. yanmar1610d

yanmar1610d Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    Hinesville, GA
    Quote:Yes, and I do not see any. I have put Sevin Dust all over them and the pens. Noticed that their poop is bright yellow also.

Oh, this is from my account at work.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  6. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    Sounds like coccidiosis or something similar. Amprolium or sulfa type drug is used for this. Is their stool bloody at all?

Have you wormed them at all? Check their poop for worms or taken a fecal sample?

Are they congested or sneeezing at all?

7. yanmar1610d

yanmar1610d Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    Hinesville, GA
    Have not checked them for worms. I have started giving them Duramycin 10, is this type of antibiotic the same as an Amprolium? Can I worm them and give them antibiotics a the sametime? Are they sneezing? Yes, but not very much. Just every now and then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by