Chickens love CORN?

I hope everyone reads this about corn. I read on this board so many posts that are incorrect. Corn DOES NOT HEAT UP CHICKENS!! If so chickens would be spontaneously combusting; grower and layer feed is full of corn. I live in Florida and feed my chickens lots of corn, EVEN IN SUMMER. Its a great feed, provides lots of energy. It has cut my feed bill waaaaaay back. I throw it out as scratch, along with sunflower seeds and oats, in the morning and evening. They also have Layena or Flockraiser and oystershell in the coop to munch on, to provide vitamins and minerals. The shells on their eggs are hard, and they lay a lot of eggs. Do not underestimate the value of cracked corn in your feeding program.

I give my chickens canned corn or frozen for a treat, and they go bonkers over it. I doesn't matter were they are when they see the can in my hand they bolt to me. its like there candy!
lol.png

My girls love corn, craked or on the cob, tomatoes, Bell pepper hearts W/ seed on it, and dandilions when we hold them. They did not like the yogurt I tried.....They like it when I mix crushed egg shells with oatmeal and they love pumpkin guts and watermelon. But the best and most fun we have with feeding is going around the house and garage with a lidded container and catching as many ladybugs as we can. We throw them down right in front of them and they gobble them up like little red hots. They don't let any escape either. Good way to keep the kids busy collecting bugs and getting rid of the pesky things.
lol.png

Quote:
some people are allergic to corn....

hahah:lol: I think they were making a point about raising body temperature...although..,,I am suddenly hot too!

Quote:
this summer on the very hot days I gave them frozen corn, just ran some water over it to thaw it slightly, they loved in. Now I give cracked corn my son collected from my dads grain dryer after last season. Soon I will have the fines after harvesting.

Here in South Dakota we have easy access to lots of cheap corn, and we use for the major portion of our livestock rations. The other day it was priced at $3.33 /bushel (56 lbs) at our local elevator.

We use it for our cattle, peafowl, chickens, and our dog even eats some from time to time.

Corn is around 8% protien, 4% fat, and the rest is carbohydrates. The protein is not very well balanced for poultry, so another source of protein is necessary. Soymeal will help to balance the ration, and some source of animal protein is usually necessary to totally balance the ration for the correct amino acids. Worms and bugs help when available.

As far as using a totally plant-based diet for the birds, it is usually quite expensive, and the protein content is not quite as well balanced as a diet which contains animal proteins. Most birds will live longer, more productive lives with animal proteins in their diets.

Also, in very cold weather, animal fats are great for helping the birds to maintain their temperature. Vegetable oils work well also.

Now that it is winter here, and no fresh Veg's from the garden.
I gave my girls some Peas and carrots from the can, and some frozen vegs, i let them come to room temp.
I bought them some tomato's and you know there really didn't eat them, they got so use to eat fresh ones they didn't want store bought.

there favorite right now is the canned peas w/ carrots, and canned chick peas, multi grain bread.

Back
Top Bottom