Chickens make BARKING sounds........What Is It?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtnhomechick, Nov 22, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Sometimes my chickens make a sound almost like a bark. Usually, it's when they're eating, which is almost all the time.

Anyone know what that is?

Thanks,

Mary

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    One of my hens made that sound, but it sounded like a duck quack to me. Mine were silkies. And it was usually when she was upset. (I assume she was a girl.)

3. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    Is it like a little dog bark? If so, I think it might be a sneeze. Ours seem to sneeze quite a bit while they're eating, probably because they stick their piggy little beaks all the way into the food and breathe in the dust.

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Yes, it's like a mini dog bark. I really don't think they're sick...it just sounds weird.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My chickens make that sound when they eat too fast .I think they get dust in their nostrals and they are trying to get it out.

6. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Sounds like they are trying to clear their throats.

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a couple that do that when nesting...

8. jtl977

jtl977 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Mine did it for the first time tonight, and it really worried me. Thanks everyone for posting about this. I feel better.

9. kittyacid

kittyacid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    My silkie does that when I have treats (or she thinks I do) and don't give them to her fast enough.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have one Buff Brahma who always does that--she's done it for two of her almost four years of age. She snorts some dust or a piece of scratch goes down wrong and she starts up. She'll do it a few times a day for a period, then it stops, then something starts her up again. It's really a sneeze, and it does sound like a bark, but she is fine, clear eyes, no discharge. I just know it's Caroline when I hear it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by