Chickens mating their siblings?

FrizzleMe

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
I was wondering now that I hatched out my Frizzle eggs, will they be able to reproduce with such close relations?

Quote:
I believe line-breeding is what that is be called and I believe it is a well established breeding technique though I don't know the particulars of it, being the rank newbie that I am.
idunno.gif
Do a search for "line breeding" and see what you come up with.

Best wishes,
Ed

You can breed back father to daughter and mother to son but not sister to brother. If it works the first time without deformities then you know youve got a good line (or so the cattle men in our area claim)

ETA: I am not an expert, my DH thinks he is, but I seem to recall someone saying that grandfather to granddaughter is all the further you want to go with a line? No idea if thats true or not.

Last edited:
Actually-siblings is called inbreeding. Line breeding is common ancestors w in 5 generations.
old.gif
I do not know how long I would do that. Grow out your babies see what you have and try to buy you a new good quality roo or hen to go with what you have. All birds are individuals with assests and faults of there own so one roo will not compliments all your girls. Just a thought.. What are your intentions.
frow.gif

You should not breed frizzle to frizzle because if you do you get a frazzle. A frazzle has really brittle feathers that break and they can have skin problems. You should only breed a frizzle to a smooth feathered chicken. EX. A frizzle x with a cochin equals 50% frizzle and 50% smooth feathered but carrying a frizzle gene.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, I bought a threesome of Frizzles and just hatched 10 eggs using an incubater. Now I have all sorts of little frizzles. My rooster (babies' daddy) just turned on us, he started chasing my children.
So, I should keep one of the baby roos and use him on the mother hens. Maybe then sell the father roo with his daughters?
My intentions are to raise the frizzles and sell. Frizzles are not popular around here.
Last question, some of my new chicks don't have the frizzel, can I still sell them as frizzles?

Quote:
If you sell the frizzle roo you need to keep a smooth roo to replace him, or vice versa if you sell the frizzle hens keep smooth hens. You will not get good quaility feathers on frizzles bred by frizzles, the feathers will be brittle and break and also some may looke to be bald in places. You may find it hard to pick out good birds from this batch if both the parent roo and hens are frizzle

Correct me if I'm wrong but the the ones that hatched from the frizzles that are smooth should carry the possiblity of having the frizzle gene.

Last edited:
ok, so no frizzle to frizzle. I also just bought cochin bantams, i can breed them with a frizzle?
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom