Chickens Missing Feathers

dsunrise2015

Hatching
Oct 18, 2022
Hey everyone, looking for some advice/assistance. First time chicken owner since March, got 6 as chicks so they are now almost 8 months old. 2 of my chickens in particular have lost some feathers near their tail end. At first I thought they may be molting but from looking online it seems they may be too young. I also thought it could be pecking, but I haven't observed them pecking at all and did put anti peck cream on them a few times. I've attached some images, 1st chicken has it the worst, 2nd chicken pictured has it but not as bad, and the third chicken has it very slight. Attached the images in the link below.

Then someone is either mounting or feather picking.
If you aren't seeing it happen it could be at roost time.
Oh no. Thank you, any advice for how to stop that and help heal the area? I've put some Peck no more ointment on them before, but I know that won't help heal what's already done.

Oh no. Thank you, any advice for how to stop that and help heal the area? I've put some Peck no more ointment on them before, but I know that won't help heal what's already done.

Honestly I haven't had any that badly balded. The feathers may not grow back until they molt and maybe not even then.

Give them as much space as possible including extra roost space so anyone needing to get away from a bully can. Keep using the pick no more too. It can't fix what's already done but can help prevent more damage if ite from picking not mounting.

A little extra protein can help them regrow feathers. I give some canned mackerel in a wet mash made from all flock and water a few times a week for a boost during molting.

Keep an eye on them in case it progresses to getting bloodied.

Back
Top Bottom