Chickens never came home

Now that I found one of my lost girls... where in the heck has she been for the last week? It seems so odd that she wouldn’t come home to roost if she was perfectly okay!? She is young, about 5 months and not yet laying (but close). Did she just get lost?? We had only been letting them out for a short time before she wandered off.

SUNNY! Is back home safe and sound this morning.
I went out all over calling and shaking the food can. She finally came running.
She got outside the fence. Mind you, 2:3 acres is fenced. A three board with "no climb" wire on the inside of that.
She was squawking and running back and forth to get back over but didn't want to give up her secret because I had to go and get her!
They all got scrambled eggs with shell and pureed carrot soup on top.
All are happy.
Don't give up hope. Keep looking and calling and shaking a food can so they can hear your voice and the food shaking.
Miracles DO Happen!!

I am so happy for you!!! Today I walked the densely wooded fence line I last saw them, calling and looking under everything to see if I saw a glimpse of them. Nothing. Today has been 3 nights and living in the country leaves me little hope that they’ve survived the nightly predators around here (Coyotes, skunks, raccoons, opossums, even occasional foxes). I am sure for a long time I will keep looking out the window to see if they’re clucking around the coop, but I suppose I do have to be realistic at this point. If we free range again I think we will wait until closer to sunset to give them a little outside time, but encourage them to stay close to home with daylight ending.

I can feel your pain. Several months ago a fox killed my very special bird. Her name was Gladys. I don't usually name my birds except for the special ones. Gladys was a cross beak that I had hatched out and raised. Normally I cull but I somehow missed Gladys. She had her own coop with other birds now and then that might need a bit of extra TLC. She was 3 years old when a a fox took her during the middle of the day when I was distracted. I had been seeing a fox on my cameras more at night. When she didn't come when I called her I knew something was wrong. I found some piles of feathers. I followed the trail but never did find her. I cried. I put traps out and caught the fox. It was mangy and boy did it stink. I knew it was a risk to let her out and but let my guard down. I still blame myself for not putting her back in her pen. She was dust bathing when I last saw her. Good luck...
Im soo sorry to read about Gladys.
Don't beat yourself up. She has a good life and left you with fond memories of her.

Didn't you mention they were at point of lay? Is it possible she went broody and is quietly laying somewhere? What breed are they?

She is a Barred Plymouth Rock. About 5 months old. Her litter mate of the same breed has started laying, but I do not believe this girl is laying yet. Her comb and wattles aren’t totally developed yet, rather small... and she is not doing the “chicken squat” when I pet her like the other laying hens. She was not laying when she was home before leaving. I wish she had just gone broody because that would at least make sense!

Im so glad that you found her.
I bet you were shocked to say the least!
Like rubbing your eyes because you couldn't believe you were looking at her! Lol
Your story is incredible.
Now, that is perseverance at its finest.
You never gave up looking.
Hold her everyday and give her something special like scrambled eggs. That gets them Everytime!
Lol.
Now, everytime I go outside with the white plastic dish, they come stiff leg RUNNING!!!!
I just love my Girls.

Don't beat yourself up for not intervening. You had no idea they wouldn't make their way home.
Me, I'm hoping they will be back for you. Don't give up hope. Keep looking and calling them.
Its the reality & hazards of "Free Ranging". Sad but true.
I'll keep you posted if mine does or doesnt make it back home.
My dog & I went searching and she didn't alert on her scent which is weird but with all the rain, I'm not surprised.
It's been raining all day and all night for days with little breaks. Hopefully shes hunkered down somewhere safe. Her name is Sunshine aka: Sunny and she's a very skiddish Easter Egger.
She laid my green egg today too.
Ugh!

I can feel your pain. Several months ago a fox killed my very special bird. Her name was Gladys. I don't usually name my birds except for the special ones. Gladys was a cross beak that I had hatched out and raised. Normally I cull but I somehow missed Gladys. She had her own coop with other birds now and then that might need a bit of extra TLC. She was 3 years old when a a fox took her during the middle of the day when I was distracted. I had been seeing a fox on my cameras more at night. When she didn't come when I called her I knew something was wrong. I found some piles of feathers. I followed the trail but never did find her. I cried. I put traps out and caught the fox. It was mangy and boy did it stink. I knew it was a risk to let her out and but let my guard down. I still blame myself for not putting her back in her pen. She was dust bathing when I last saw her. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom