Chickens never came home

Read through the postings in the predator category. I think you were fortunate to get 4 back unharmed. People have lost birds to hawks when they were standing very close to them. And there are a ton of other chicken eaters out there. Can you walk the property near where you saw them last to see if there is any evidence of something bad happening?

There is still a slight hope that they may return. If something scared them they may have scattered far from there. Their also very young and inexperienced with real world dangers.

I'm sorry to read about your missing girls. I too free range. Tonight, when I counted them I was missing one also. 5:6.
My King Shepard and I walked my 3 acres and not a trace. Boom vanished. No feathers anything. My neighbors do have chickens too but, they never have mixed.
But, it's nighttime so, I have hopes shes hunkered down out of the rain somewhere.
I'll go out in the morning to release the others and shake the food scoop while calling "Come on chic chic" as I do every morning.
I wish you luck that your girls are together and find their way home. Please keep us posted.
Keep trying to call them and shake that food can throughout the day.
Positive Vibes are being sent your way.

I am so sorry to hear about your missing girl as well. It’s amazing how they just vanish without a sound or commotion. I hope she comes home! I have pretty much accepted that my girls are gone. I saw them wandering off way too far and I should of intervened. A lesson learned the hard way.

I am so sorry to hear about your missing girl as well. It’s amazing how they just vanish without a sound or commotion. I hope she comes home! I have pretty much accepted that my girls are gone. I saw them wandering off way too far and I should of intervened. A lesson learned the hard way.
Don't beat yourself up for not intervening. You had no idea they wouldn't make their way home.
Me, I'm hoping they will be back for you. Don't give up hope. Keep looking and calling them.
Its the reality & hazards of "Free Ranging". Sad but true.
I'll keep you posted if mine does or doesnt make it back home.
My dog & I went searching and she didn't alert on her scent which is weird but with all the rain, I'm not surprised.
It's been raining all day and all night for days with little breaks. Hopefully shes hunkered down somewhere safe. Her name is Sunshine aka: Sunny and she's a very skiddish Easter Egger.
She laid my green egg today too.
Ugh!

Attachments

• 20200819_110229.jpg
    20200819_110229.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
I am so happy for you!!! Today I walked the densely wooded fence line I last saw them, calling and looking under everything to see if I saw a glimpse of them. Nothing. Today has been 3 nights and living in the country leaves me little hope that they’ve survived the nightly predators around here (Coyotes, skunks, raccoons, opossums, even occasional foxes). I am sure for a long time I will keep looking out the window to see if they’re clucking around the coop, but I suppose I do have to be realistic at this point. If we free range again I think we will wait until closer to sunset to give them a little outside time, but encourage them to stay close to home with daylight ending.
Keep walking, shaking the can and calling them. Go talk to more of those distant neighbors.
Keep the faith.

I hope the missing chicken show up soon. :fl

I free range all day and don’t have much for predator protection except the noisy dogs fenced nearby and my rooster. I really think that having a rooster has been the key to me not losing any hens yet. My last rooster got attacked by a dog (and survived) but the rest of the flock was unharmed. I imagine that he tried to fight it, or maybe he just looked more “fun” to a stray dog.

Is there any way you can add a rooster to your flock, @Shelbye720?

I hope the missing chicken show up soon. :fl

I free range all day and don’t have much for predator protection except the noisy dogs fenced nearby and my rooster. I really think that having a rooster has been the key to me not losing any hens yet. My last rooster got attacked by a dog (and survived) but the rest of the flock was unharmed. I imagine that he tried to fight it, or maybe he just looked more “fun” to a stray dog.

Is there any way you can add a rooster to your flock, @Shelbye720?

I thought about that! For now it just wouldn’t make sense with out lil almost 2 year old. If the chickens are free ranging he likes to run with them and feed them...for whatever reason the hens are just so drawn to him and follow him around. I just wouldn’t trust a rooster not to chase our son or worse hurt him. I know some are fairly friendly but it’s such a wild card what their temperament comes out like!

Back
Top Bottom