Chickens Vanishing

I had decided that if my dogs didn't soon make contact with the fox, I was going to need to spend the night on my roof, then shoot it when it came lurking. I wasn't looking forward to losing a night of sleep, but still feel that it would have worked. You may need to do something similiar unless your dog is soon able to confront the predator.
I’m just not sure if I will know if he has confronted it or not. It seems chickens go missing around 3-5pm and that’s when I saw the fox/coyote in my backyard under some brush. If he doesn’t get it we will definitely be going hunting for a new fur pelt.

Fox can take chickens without a trace. Coyote always leave a mess of feathers. I too have lost a lot of birds to fox in the past 2 years. Not much you can do but keep your birds locked up unless you are around. Fox won't mess with goats. Coyote may.

Fox can take chickens without a trace. Coyote always leave a mess of feathers. I too have lost a lot of birds to fox in the past 2 years. Not much you can do but keep your birds locked up unless you are around. Fox won't mess with goats. Coyote may.
Thank you for your input. I’ll feel a little safer letting the goats free range again if even for half the day. I have a hard time telling these grey foxes and coyotes apart since they are usually in motion when I catch them and never get a clear view. We’ve never caught a fox on our deer cam but we have seen rogue dogs and a lone coyote. We’ve had a coyote attack before and it was a whole trail of feathers everywhere. Then we set up our cam with the bird it killed but didn’t get to eat and it came back for it. Haven’t seen any since then and that was a few years back.

Thank you for your input. I’ll feel a little safer letting the goats free range again if even for half the day. I have a hard time telling these grey foxes and coyotes apart since they are usually in motion when I catch them and never get a clear view. We’ve never caught a fox on our deer cam but we have seen rogue dogs and a lone coyote. We’ve had a coyote attack before and it was a whole trail of feathers everywhere. Then we set up our cam with the bird it killed but didn’t get to eat and it came back for it. Haven’t seen any since then and that was a few years back.
I personally have never had coyote attack my goats. They are all around us. I know a lady who did have one of her goats killed by coyote. So I think it all depends. They seem to prefer easier prey.

Both fox and coyote have taken chickens, and female muscovy ducks. They don't bother the adult drakes, nor my geese. So far. :fl

Do you have a trail camera you could put out where the chickens free range? You might have to think about 2 legged predators if you are seeing no feathers or signs of chicken being taken, fox and coyote are good but don't clean up feathers.

Do you have a trail camera you could put out where the chickens free range? You might have to think about 2 legged predators if you are seeing no feathers or signs of chicken being taken, fox and coyote are good but don't clean up feathers.
Fox can grab chickens and leave no signs. I've seen it multiple times here. They seem to get a good grip the first time, and they leave without the bird struggling. Coyote on the other hand like to stop and have a taste which makes it messier.

Coyotes can snatch and run without leaving too many feathers, or none at all, as was when it snatched my one mama with 4 week old chicks. She gave her life for those babies. Only a small pile for another hen that disappeared in daylight hours.

Back
Top Bottom