Chickens not acting like chickens

You give me too much credit. I don't want to pretend like I had a strong altruistic motive here. I wanted chickens. Starting with three laying hens seemed like an easy in. I heard that someone would bring in a bunch from a farm 5 hours to the south of me each spring and I got on a list through a friend of a friend. It is not a rescue operation, but more of an extension of their business.

That being said, I am going to care for my chickens to the best of my ability. I'm told they popped their head outside a bit again today. So the process is happening. Thanks again for everyone's advice.
Same. For me, it was jumping at a chance to get some free chickens.

To post a video, first upload it to a host site such as YouTube. Then copy and paste the link here.

Many years ago I got some battery hens out of Bayfield or Durango, CO, but I don't remember how that happened. Friend of a friend contact maybe? I'm sorry, I'm useless. Maybe they posted an ad. 😔
Tu for info. Its not My video, just one i saw on youtube when i was searching for exbattery hens several years back. I got the "copy" part done, but then couldnt figure out how to paste/add the link. I ll try again later, unless someone beats me to it.🙂

Tu for info. Its not My video, just one i saw on youtube when i was searching for exbattery hens several years back. I got the "copy" part done, but then couldnt figure out how to paste/add the link. I ll try again later, unless someone beats me to it.🙂
Once you've copied it, (this is for phone) just press and hold your finger where you would normally type text, and the Paste option should appear. Click it and the link will appear, just as if you'd typed it. For tablet or puter, use mouse to right click in the space, and same thing occurs. Good luck!

You give me too much credit. I don't want to pretend like I had a strong altruistic motive here. I wanted chickens. Starting with three laying hens seemed like an easy in. I heard that someone would bring in a bunch from a farm 5 hours to the south of me each spring and I got on a list through a friend of a friend. It is not a rescue operation, but more of an extension of their business.

That being said, I am going to care for my chickens to the best of my ability. I'm told they popped their head outside a bit again today. So the process is happening. Thanks again for everyone's advice.
Whether you Intended to be altruistic or not, you did a really good-hearted thing. You may not understand what i mean unless you know the hell battery hens live in. I assure u im no peta person. I did however, fall totally in love with chickens soon after getting chicks from the feedstore. And ive since watched some of the undercover battery hen videos on youtube. That made me even more determined to ensure my own hens live a good, safe, happy life. (And caused me to seek some ex battery hens to adopt.)

I see that @BigBlueHen53 has provided additional instruction, so im gonna try again to post that beautiful inspirational video i mentioned. I think you will realize that unintentionally or not, you did a really great thing for the hens now in your care. ♥️

Whether you Intended to be altruistic or not, you did a really good-hearted thing. You may not understand what i mean unless you know the hell battery hens live in. I assure u im no peta person. I did however, fall totally in love with chickens soon after getting chicks from the feedstore. And ive since watched some of the undercover battery hen videos on youtube. That made me even more determined to ensure my own hens live a good, safe, happy life. (And caused me to seek some ex battery hens to adopt.)

I see that @BigBlueHen53 has provided additional instruction, so im gonna try again to post that beautiful inspirational video i mentioned. I think you will realize that unintentionally or not, you did a really great thing for the hens now in your care. ♥️
I'll tell you the truth, I was appalled when I saw the conditions those poor hens lived in. It made me glad I could rescue a few but sad I couldn't do more. And determined, whenever I could, to raise chickens in my own back yard. I'm so glad there are so many of us. Viva el pollo! (Hope that's all one language, lol!)

I'll tell you the truth, I was appalled when I saw the conditions those poor hens lived in. It made me glad I could rescue a few but sad I couldn't do more. And determined, whenever I could, to raise chickens in my own back yard. I'm so glad there are so many of us. Viva el pollo! (Hope that's all one language, lol!)
Tu so much for the instructions as far as how to add videos! I never knew how commercial egg layers were raised until i got chickens myself. And to tell You the truth, i "fear" that if i do locate a source, i will adopt bunches and bunches. Like 30-40!!

I sure wish i could find some. I have/have had a lot of ISA Browns i have purchased direct from a hatchery several times since 2014. They dont live nearly as long as other breeds/types due to high egg production, & the ex battery hens wont either. But thats ok; they would know a good safe life with sunshine, grass and bugs. And lay plenty of eggs til they pass away. And then i would go adopt more battery hens!

If Anyone sees this post either now or in the future & knows a direct source in texas/surrounding states, please let me know. As i said earlier, ran into dead ends when i searched a few years ago.

Tu so much for the instructions as far as how to add videos! I never knew how commercial egg layers were raised until i got chickens myself. And to tell You the truth, i "fear" that if i do locate a source, i will adopt bunches and bunches. Like 30-40!!

I sure wish i could find some. I have/have had a lot of ISA Browns i have purchased direct from a hatchery several times since 2014. They dont live nearly as long as other breeds/types due to high egg production, & the ex battery hens wont either. But thats ok; they would know a good safe life with sunshine, grass and bugs. And lay plenty of eggs til they pass away. And then i would go adopt more battery hens!

If Anyone sees this post either now or in the future & knows a direct source in texas/surrounding states, please let me know. As i said earlier, ran into dead ends when i searched a few years ago.
You're welcome, thanks for continuing to try until you got it! 😄 Now you know how. I appreciate you not giving up, you're a good student. I love teaching! ❤

So a happy little update. They are spending more and more time outside. I guess they just needed a little more time getting used to their new situation.

The chickens are still terrified of me and not really interested in treats, but I'm hopeful they will come around.

It is hot for me and my location right now (27C/81F), but I don't think it is bothering the chickens much. Their run and coop are well shaded by trees, they have lots of water, and are not acting heat stressed. Those temps are probably rookie numbers for my American friends on here, but it was enough for Environment Canada to issue a heatwave warning. On the flip side, we don't get a cold warning until it hits -50C/-58F.

Attachments

• outdoor chickens.jpg
    outdoor chickens.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom