1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens not crowing too young or hens??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thegibbys, May 22, 2011.

1. thegibbys

thegibbys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    We have eight week old chickens and no one is crowing. They make regular chicken sounds but no one is crowing. Is it too early or is it possible we hatched all hens?? At what age do they crow we have different ages.

2. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    My 9wk old Java's haven't yet said anything other than 'cheep'!
    I'm waiting for a full out 'bwok'! Or even a 'cluck'...nope....just little 'cheeps'.
    However, there are no older chickens to 'teach' these. So perhaps it's a little bit longer?

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Mine just turned 9 weeks and not a crow either. Just normal chick sounds so far. I'm hoping for ONE crow and 6 hens. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Mine are 11 wks old although I can tell which are roos. Not a crow. The BS /BO is huge and almost full size. He's twice as big as the BOs.

5. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    My Silkie roo started at about 18 weeks and my SLW roo started at about 19-20

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My Brahma boys didn't find their voices until they were about 24 weeks of age and then sounded like a tractor trying to start up.....don't worry, it will come . You may wish it hadn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by