Chickens not eating and not laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CowboyMatt, Feb 19, 2017.

1. CowboyMatt

CowboyMatt New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    I have 18 chickens in one coup and 9 in another the 18 have stopped eating very much and egg production has almost stopped. I went from 8 or 9 eggs per day to 1 or 2. Only one is broody. My other chickens have been doing great. Eating and laying 3 to 4 eggs daily. It is the end of feb in souther NC. I do not think weather or light is an issue since both coups are in the same area with suplemented light. Please help

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Thanks for joining, I'm sure you'll love it here! :frow

~Cuz

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

How big is your coop for the 18? Are they confined in it or do you have a run or free range? How old are the 18 birds? Have they been stressed lately from a predator or recent changes in their coop? What breeds are the 18?

Some more information would be helpful.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Even chickens with supplemented light will have to eventually molt. So if you didn't give them a break during the winter, maybe they have decided to take it. [​IMG]

What are you feeding including supplements and treats? Are the birds in both coop the same breeds? And other questions will also help.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under CowboyMatt [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already discovered from the questions asked, there are so many variables as to why chickens stop laying.

You might find this previous Topic of the Week interesting: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1145557/topic-of-the-week-winter-egg-laying

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, CowboyMatt, and [​IMG] Great to have you in our community! Hope you get your egg laying dilemma figured out. Best of luck to you!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I just noticed that your title says your chickens are not eating either? Is that still going on and for all of them?

A chicken not eating is a sign of something more serious. [​IMG]

9. CowboyMatt

CowboyMatt New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    I have my 18 in a 4' x 8' x 5' tall house with 6 nesting boxes. They have access and enjoy their 14' x 5' x 5' tall outside run they have access to durring the day. The nesting boxs are well iff the ground and they do get up there. I have rousts they all gather and fight for the best spot next to the roster and settle to sleep.i give them a non medicated laying pellet. They did start this all when i got rid of some of the nesting boxes and changed the rousts aroud to give them more room as well as added 5 of the 18. I expexted the slow down in production. This happened over 5 weeks ago. They have been eating less and less. 2 weeks ago i started giving them grit thinking it may be a digestive issue. They did eat it. I ddidnt guve it before because i was told they can find their own as i let them out to free range in the back yard most days for about an hour before dusk. I have orfingtons, road is reds americanas white leghorns in this mix. My biggest fear came true this morning. One of the orfingtons was dead. They are all 6 month and up

10. MerleMice

MerleMice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    A mite infestation would cause lethargy. The dead one, can you feel the keel bone really prominently? Looking at the body, can you find evidence of eggs, or scabs? Mites are more active at night, so if you go out with a flashlight and look at the birds vents (a favorite mite spot) and face, you might be able to see them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by