chickens not getting along

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dibar, Mar 8, 2009.

1. dibar

dibar New Egg

Mar 8, 2009
    Blairsville
    :(Hi Guys- We are fairly new to the world of chickens(we have raised almost everything else)
    Having trouble with our chickens socializing(for lack of a better word)
    we have 8 barreds
    4 wyandotts 3 americanas 2 reds-
    the barreds are about 1 month older than the rest
    we just moved them to their coop outside
    we raised them in our basement from 2-3 days old
    and they were in different brooders
    the barreds are very aggressive and are chasing the others away from food and water
    there is some pecking going on but I haven't seen any blood drawn
    we have 4 roos in this group of 17
    any suggestions
    all help is greatly appreciated:cd

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    First off, welcome to BYC.
    Are you planning on keeping all those roos? Once those boys start to mature chances are there will be big time fights. 17 - 4 = 13 pullets correct? One roo is enough to take care of that many girls.
    My rule of thumb about the pecking order is if they're not drawing blood, let them work it out. However, I also strongly believe in having two feeders and waterers in case bullies try to keep the lower ranking members from the food or water.

3. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    I had some barred rocks last year and found them to be more aggressive than the others too. Even as chicks they were more "plucky". I eventually culled them.

Also, 4 roosters is likely too many with the ratio to hens you've got. For fertile eggs, 2 would be more appropriate, with less competition and fighting. However, to some degree they will establish a pecking order eventually and fight less viciously, if you are wanting to keep them all (they sure are nice to look at anyway).

Something also to help the low-on-the-totem-pole chickens would be to set out an extra feeder and waterer or two, so everybody gets fed. I also keep a few extra nest boxes for the shy hens to go retreat if they want, and also two roost poles so they have options. If you have a safe enough situation in which you can let them free range some during the day, I find that keeps mine busy and content.

You may want to cull a few (starting with a couple roosters) if you find them just driving you crazy with all the fighting. I got tired of hearing mine bang against the sides of their coop.

4. dibar

dibar New Egg

Mar 8, 2009
    Blairsville
    Thanks for the info
    we are not planing on keping all those roos
    didn't know we had that many at first
    we will try the extra feeders

5. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky