Chickens not going down ramp

jon100

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 18, 2012
I'm a beginner raising a flock of 5 beautiful pullets - 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks and one Rhode Island Red. Started with week old chicks that are now 22 weeks old. Expecting eggs any day now. The girls have ramp issues. They all will go up the ramp at dusk. One fearless Barred Rock will come down in the morning. The rest are well, chicken. They will hover around the ramp, look down a the feed, but insist on being carried down. The ramp goes down a trap door opening in the floor of the coop.

I converted a backyard play set into the new coop. Here is before and after pictures:

The ramp is at a 45 degree angle, has cleats every 6 inches and hardware cloth stapled between the cleats for traction. The floor opening is 13 X 18 inches. Here are pictures of that.

If I place the chickens on the ramp from above, they panic and hop back off. The feed is always downstairs in the pen area, although I do supply water both up and down. I'm prepared to be patient, but wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to get these ladies to come down on their own.

Last edited:
3 suggestions to try:

1. When putting a hen on the ramp, put them halfway down on the ramp.

2. reduce the slope of the ramp

3. leave the food outside and let them get hungry enough to go down and eat.

Put the bottom of the ramp up on a couple of cinder blocks to decrease the angle for a couple of weeks. After they get used to it remove one for a week and then remove the other. The steep angle will be fine once they're used to using the ramp.

Thanks everyone for great suggestions. Will work on that ramp. Will have to shorten the ramp to raise it as the bottom end is against wall. Chickens will have to jump to the ramp by the distance I raise off the floor, and land on the inclined ramp. Certainly worth trying!

I know I a late addressing this, but how did it all work out? I am building a ramp into the bottom of my new coop, and wondered what the best angle is and how much room is needed at the top of the ramp for the chickens to turn? Any ideas are appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom