Hen refusing to go down the ramp

Looks really steep and then terminates right at the wall. Your directional chute siding doesn’t really let them jump off the side to avoid using the ramp, so Chicken probably face planted at the bottom and doesn’t feel safe going down it anymore.

If the ramp still fits, I’d start with turning the brick so it’s taller, which would be better than it is now. I’d consider adding a 2nd ramp at the end. Could even lower the top where it mounts to the coop.

There’s other options too, I used to have a ramp but swapped it out for a tree branch ladder and all the chickens can use it just fine.
I turned the block yesterday.
And I didn't realise it's deceiving in the picture - the wood at the end is just a random piece of wood I put there as a step since I added the concrete block. There is open run at the end of it and on both sides.

I can try taking the siding off, I'm not stuck on keeping it. I only put it up there because the hen in question kept walking close to the edge at the top and freaking out.. and she's just a silkie so I thought that might be a bit high for her to jump down/fall.

Try making it less steep for her and see if that helps. Maybe put a cinder block or other step at the bottom if necessary. Once she becomes accustomed to going down it, you may be able to return it to its normal configuration. (Or not.) What breed is the other hen? Is your reluctant hen smaller?
The other one is also a silkie but is a rooster, so a little bit bigger than her.

There's also a cinder block under the end & the wood piece in front of the ramp is a little step.

There is another option. Instead of a ramp, you can build a hanging step like this. Even Silkies can hop. Take the steps down low enough to accommodate her abilities. A hanging step like this take up far less room than a ramp. That's why I have them on my coops.
P1010029.jpeg

There is another option. Instead of a ramp, you can build a hanging step like this. Even Silkies can hop. Take the steps down low enough to accommodate her abilities. A hanging step like this take up far less room than a ramp. That's why I have them on my coops.
I have steps as well, simply concrete blocks and bricks (because they're no slip) stacked for access. It seems more instinctive for chickens to hop up and down platforms than to use a ramp, and even tiny chicks can manage the steps.
coopc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom