Chickens not happy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by niamhblond, Feb 11, 2014.

1. niamhblond

niamhblond Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2014
    South Wales
    I have had this hen For a while she's around a year and half and she's a Pekin/Orphington (sorry for the spelling ) she hasn't been laying for a while but it's winter so I do t expect her too she's not broody but just sits in the rafters of the shed and hasn't come down for a month I stopped putting food there for about a week in hope that she would come down but she hasn't so there is food and water up there for her . She's not ill and has'nt really tried to join the flock .[​IMG] Any advice ?

2. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    She all alone, or are there others? Could be a temperature thing; a northerner will know that more than I would.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Every once and a while one comes along that just marches to the beat of a different drum. She evidently just doesn't like the other chickens in the flock and it being winter that is the place she goes to get away. If you withdrew the food and water from up there for a week, she must have come down at some point. I would not lose to much sleep worrying about making her come down and join the others, she will when the flock dynamics are to her liking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by