chickens not laying eggs...

I agree about the light. I hadn't thought of that. Would you recommend artificial lighting?

I think it's not hot enough to reduce laying.

The secret nest thing, it's possible. I've had it happen before when my chickens would fly out. But now we have netting over both runs to stop them. and after we let them out, we watch them, so most likely, that's not it.

Also about the molting, that was one of my ideas too, but none of them are showing signs of it.

I have lots- and I mean lots- of different kinds:

Roosters:
Golden Sebright bantam
Barred Rock
Buff Cochin
Silver Duckwing OEGB
Golden Laced Wyandotte

Hens:
Barred Rocks
Golden Sebright bantam
Blue cochin bantam
Black cochin bantam
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Black Sex Link
Maran
Crevecoeur
Lakenvelder
White Crested Black Polish
Black Jersey Giant
White Leghorn
White Silkie
Buff Cochin
Black Breasted Red OEG
Ardenner {Ardennaise}

:)
I love the vast array of breeds you have. You aren't giving them a balanced diet, cut back on grains and corn. An average hen eats about 1/2 cup food daily, adjusting for size - bantams less. I have 102 chickens, ducks and guineas, they go through 4 - 30# feeders (filled 2x weekly) in one coop and 1 - 30# feeder in another coop weekly which is about 200-250# of feed (1 50# bag of pellets fills 2 - 30# feeders) . I also have juvenile chickens and ducklings that get "All Flock" pellets 50# weekly or "Flock Raiser" crumbles 50# monthly depending on ages. Mine are free fed the layer feed and I keep an 11# feeder of oyster shell available at all times that is refilled monthly. I don't give any treats until noontime, once they've had layer feed first and it's about 4 cups spread between all except those under 8 weeks. They might get black oil sunflower seeds one day, scraps another day, or I also buy manager special veggies and packaged greens (1 bag divided between them) to mix things up. Now with a garden growing, we give them all the weeds every evening, especially to the ducks about an hour before sunset (most chickens are roosting by then). I have a total of 4 coops with a 1025sqft uncovered pen in summer, 2,050sqft when there's no garden. Plus a 5th coop with 125sqft covered pen (4 guineas, 5 hens and 2 roosters). My 42 hens range from 8 months up to over 4 years and I get an average of 22 eggs daily not including duck (3-6) or guinea (1). I have a few broody hens too that I keep removing from nests. Heat seems to have a lot to do with their laying as its been in the 80's pushing 90 at times with higher humidity and more than normal rain this year. Also the breed makes a difference on laying too, some lay 6 even 7 days weekly, while others lay 3-4 times a week. I have all large breeds, my last bantam, a Showgirl, passed January 2020 and she laid 3-5 times weekly until a week before passing.

I have RIR, Easter Eggers, Cuckoo Marans (light and dark), Amberlinks, red sexlinks, golden comets, buff Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, buff and light Brahmas, Welsummers, Speckled Sussex, Australorps, and a few more not remembering hens. Roosters are 3 RIR, 1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Amberlink/black Australorp, 1 buff Brahma and 1 Easter Egger. I've got 35 juvenile chicks that are yet to be known, most bought as "sexed" pullets but my last group of 6 pullets only had 3 pullets, hence my Easter Egger rooster.

Try cutting back on treats. They should only get 10% of they're diet from treats or scraps.

I'll try supplemental light for the coming winter, and will use it all year round.
Thanks for the advice @the old rooster

Do you have a link to what light you are using?

Woods L1706 Vandal Resistant Security Light With Ceiling Mount (150W Incandescent Bulb, Silver)​

Visit the Woods Store
4.7 out of 5 stars 1,066 ratings

Amazon'sChoicefor "cage light"

Try this search to see what the light looks like and the look for deals , they should be in the 20Dollar range but are worth it. And you could start the light now and most likely will see a difference. good luck

I love the vast array of breeds you have. You aren't giving them a balanced diet, cut back on grains and corn. An average hen eats about 1/2 cup food daily, adjusting for size - bantams less. I have 102 chickens, ducks and guineas, they go through 4 - 30# feeders (filled 2x weekly) in one coop and 1 - 30# feeder in another coop weekly which is about 200-250# of feed (1 50# bag of pellets fills 2 - 30# feeders) . I also have juvenile chickens and ducklings that get "All Flock" pellets 50# weekly or "Flock Raiser" crumbles 50# monthly depending on ages. Mine are free fed the layer feed and I keep an 11# feeder of oyster shell available at all times that is refilled monthly. I don't give any treats until noontime, once they've had layer feed first and it's about 4 cups spread between all except those under 8 weeks. They might get black oil sunflower seeds one day, scraps another day, or I also buy manager special veggies and packaged greens (1 bag divided between them) to mix things up. Now with a garden growing, we give them all the weeds every evening, especially to the ducks about an hour before sunset (most chickens are roosting by then). I have a total of 4 coops with a 1025sqft uncovered pen in summer, 2,050sqft when there's no garden. Plus a 5th coop with 125sqft covered pen (4 guineas, 5 hens and 2 roosters). My 42 hens range from 8 months up to over 4 years and I get an average of 22 eggs daily not including duck (3-6) or guinea (1). I have a few broody hens too that I keep removing from nests. Heat seems to have a lot to do with their laying as its been in the 80's pushing 90 at times with higher humidity and more than normal rain this year. Also the breed makes a difference on laying too, some lay 6 even 7 days weekly, while others lay 3-4 times a week. I have all large breeds, my last bantam, a Showgirl, passed January 2020 and she laid 3-5 times weekly until a week before passing.

I have RIR, Easter Eggers, Cuckoo Marans (light and dark), Amberlinks, red sexlinks, golden comets, buff Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, buff and light Brahmas, Welsummers, Speckled Sussex, Australorps, and a few more not remembering hens. Roosters are 3 RIR, 1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Amberlink/black Australorp, 1 buff Brahma and 1 Easter Egger. I've got 35 juvenile chicks that are yet to be known, most bought as "sexed" pullets but my last group of 6 pullets only had 3 pullets, hence my Easter Egger rooster.

Try cutting back on treats. They should only get 10% of they're diet from treats or scraps.
Sounds like quite the operation you have there ❤️ :lol:!

Sorry about your loss.

I'll use your advice. Thanks so much!

Woods L1706 Vandal Resistant Security Light With Ceiling Mount (150W Incandescent Bulb, Silver)​

Visit the Woods Store

Try this search to see what the light looks like and the look for deals , they should be in the 20Dollar range but are worth it. And you could start the light now and most likely will see a difference. good luck
Thanks!

I found it. I will be ordering in the next few weeks and I'll update you on how it goes.

It seems like you are not feeding them enough :( and if you're using tractor supply layer feed 16%, Du Mor brand it is very low quality. Purina brand game bird starter is a great choice. I hope that helps:)))
Finally the bad food has caught up with you. That is what happened to me.
@Chickn Keaper

I have changed there feeding amounts to almost double (for the flock pellet). I sometimes buy different percents of protein for the pellets, but whatever they have available, I get (the highest protein I can find).

Thanks for your help.

Visit the Woods Store

Also, (@the old rooster),
should I get two for my coop size?
I don't know the dimensions, but it comfortable houses 40+ chickens.
It's like a good-sized shed.

few more questions:
How would I set up the timer to turn on at 4am and turn off at 4pm or 5pm?
Do I need an outlet? Because, we don't have outlets in the coop or anywhere near the coop. And if you do need an outlet, could I somehow set it up to be solar panel- powered?

In the beginning of this year, we've had great egg production - around 2 dozen a day.
It's true, we've had some losses (only a couple hens), so now our hen count is at 25. In the beginning of this year, it was almost 30.

Now, we are only getting about 10 eggs. What could be the issue? Stress?
Whatever it may be, I'm willing to try and fix it because we cannot support our entire household and families with less than a dozen. And we have customers that buy our eggs on a weekly basis, claiming "we want your fresh, orange-yolked goodness, rather than pale store-bought old eggs".

The flock has constant access to water. Dry food (mixed grains, layer pellets, whole corn, etc.) is given once in the morning, then we let them out to free range all day long. And sometimes in the evening we give them a little more dry food. In the morning, also, we give them a bucket of food scraps. With our big family, we get lots and lots of food scraps which they LOVE.

Are we doing something wrong? Are they stressed? Our neighbors have dogs that bark alot- could that be an issue?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

edit: I forgot to add that we mix in crushed oyster shell for calcium into their dry food every day.
Ours are doing the same. I have put it down to the high heat, and potentially in a soft molt.

few more questions:
Do I need an outlet? Because, we don't have outlets in the coop or anywhere near the coop. And if you do need an outlet, could I somehow set it up to be solar panel- powe

few more questions:
Do I need an outlet? Because, we don't have outlets in the coop or anywhere near the coop. And if you do need an outlet, could I somehow set it up to be solar panel- powered?
Im not in Possession of the knowledge to set up solar for this situation , I am looking toward that end , as I would like to be free form the grid for my chicken coops. I have power to my Buildings and a Back up generator so at present power is my normal. lets start a Forum on Solar Powering a Coop!

Im not in Possession of the knowledge to set up solar for this situation , I am looking toward that end , as I would like to be free form the grid for my chicken coops. I have power to my Buildings and a Back up generator so at present power is my normal. lets start a Forum on Solar Powering a Coop!
Great Idea! If you start one, tag me :)

Back
Top Bottom