1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. I bought about 200 chickens from a guy that had 1500 chickens same kind and everything. I own a chicken farm and sells fresh farm eggs and chickens. Well, my 200 chickens were born January 21 so i bought them back in June thinking they would start laying soon but it's September now and I haven't seen any eggs out of them. I feed them 16% layer pellets and give them fresh water each day does anyone know why they are not laying? or does anyone know what I can do to make them lay? any ideas or advice?

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    What breed are they, for starters? Owning a chicken farm I'm sure you know that different breeds have different maturing ages, which causes them to start laying later or earlier. I have Leghorns born from Feb that aren't laying yet, but I imagine will be soon; people told me they'd start laying around 4-6 months old, they'll be 7 on the 20th I believe. A lot of factors play into egg laying; birds overall health, temperature, stress, lack of privacy/inadequate nesting area, severe weather (cool and rainy one day, hot and sunny the next, it happens, at least here)..

There is a lot that plays an effect. The best you can do is provide good feed, shelter, room, nesting, water, etc.. And wait. If a breed that doesn't lay in the winter, then light them if you want the eggs this year.

God bless,
    Daniel.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Something's wrong with this scenario. Chicks were hatched in January? Where are you located? What layer strain are they? Surely, they are production birds.

Finally, are they held in a pen or barn or do they have free access to pastures, woods and other kinds of nest hiding places?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by