Chickens not laying!! Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenman220, Sep 9, 2014.

1. chickenman220

chickenman220 New Egg

Aug 12, 2014
    So my dad and I are very new to raising chickens and we are learning a lot on the way. On Easter I went to Tractor Supply and bought 9 chicks; 6 white pullets and 3 RIR's. The pullets started laying in mid August and after their first week they were laying 6 eggs a day! But then that number went down to 4, then 3. Now I have gotten 2 eggs from the pullets for the past two days and one from my only laying RIR. I am wondering why are my pullets not laying as much as they were in August? I have changed the bedding in their coop a week ago but the RIR still lays every day. When my eggs dropped to four a day I thought it was the heat(I live in VA.) because it had been hotter that week. Now it has been very cloudy and rainy the past two days so it could be that as well. I am wondering is my decrease in egg production caused by a single one of these factors, or by a combination of them all? Also, will my egg production continue to be low or will it pick back up once the weather changes? Any tips or pointers would be extremely helpful because again I am very new to chickens. Thank you all so much.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Are you feeding them layer feed?

3. chickenman220

chickenman220 New Egg

Aug 12, 2014
    Yes i have started them on layer feed two weeks ago

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Actually, layer feed or not has nothing to do with whether they produce eggs - in fact, the lower protein content can sometimes have a negative impact on production. The only "advantage" to the layer feed is the calcium content, which rather than effecting production would effect quality of the eggs produced.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Good point.

6. chickenman220

chickenman220 New Egg

Aug 12, 2014
    wow I didn't know that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by