Chickens not laying

The roosters behavior is a red flag to me. A well taken care of rooster will forage for his hens and act as their protector. I'd have to agree that he is probably in survival mode if he is staying away from the hens and just foraging for himself. I'm not surprised the chickens wouldn't be laying now because most are moulting but laying should have been excellent in June, July and August. Someone mentioned feeding feather fixed which is good, but I also recommends game bird/ showbird feed. I think it's slightly bit higher in protein. And certain vitamins. My chickens get dry cat food every few days and I have had no ill side effects, it's meant for my muscovies to help prevent anemia but the chickens enjoy jumping into the ducks feed dish to grab some when they can.

I read this cuz my hens aren't laying as should either. Neighbour's cat who almost daily comes over to visit our cat and dog was just diagnosed with worms. I really doubt my birds are above it all even tho they dont spend time in same space with either our cat nor dog. For our cat in the past we used an herbal vermifuge (de-wormer) containing wormwood, male fern rhizome, black seed, sage leaf, fennel seed, papaya leaf. In that order that formula forms. This is marketed to pet owners, but from the little i know about herbology i recall such human formulae not to be much different, so figure fine for our flock. I hadn't considered worms. I suppose they're known to disrupt, compromise egg laying or bring it to full stop?

I read this cuz my hens aren't laying as should either. Neighbour's cat who almost daily comes over to visit our cat and dog was just diagnosed with worms. I really doubt my birds are above it all even tho they dont spend time in same space with either our cat nor dog. For our cat in the past we used an herbal vermifuge (de-wormer) containing wormwood, male fern rhizome, black seed, sage leaf, fennel seed, papaya leaf. In that order that formula forms. This is marketed to pet owners, but from the little i know about herbology i recall such human formulae not to be much different, so figure fine for our flock. I hadn't considered worms. I suppose they're known to disrupt, compromise egg laying or bring it to full stop?
Yes....worms can even kill a chicken.
Get a vet to check some fresh poop from your flock asap.

We live in the woods with wild birds and stray cats all around so I worm spring and fall regardless. I think fenbendazole is best (safeguard horse paste), I just put a pea size amount on a tiny piece of bread and feed to them right after they go to roost and repeat in 10 days. If they have any worms you will find them dead on the poopboards within a day or two. You don't want to wait until you have a worm problem because like casportpony said worms can be fatal. I'm not sure of any surefire herbal treatments, maybe someone else here does.

Back
Top Bottom