Chickens not laying

Shleber12

Hatching
Apr 21, 2020
We have about 20 hens running with three roosters. Not one has laid an egg in about 4 months. What could be the issue?

I assume they were laying five months ago? How old are they and what is their laying history?

That does seem a long time without any eggs for that many hens. If you are north of the equator the prime factor is probably the molt. With the days still getting shorter they may be slow to start up again. I assume you are not extending lights to make the day longer?

A very common reason we think hens are not laying is that they are hiding a nest from us. How possible is that? That should not explain that many eggs but it could explain a few.

It's possible something is getting the eggs. Most things leave some kind of trace, egg shell or a wet spot. I don't know what critters might be where you are, but in North America the typical things that take eggs without a trace are snakes, canines, and humans. It does not sound like a snake. I've had those. They eat some eggs and go away for a few days to digest them before they come back for more. If it is consistent it is not a snake.

Here a fox or coyote would probably be more interested in the chickens than the eggs so it is unlikely one of them. But dogs can leave the chickens alone and eat eggs. Does a dog have access? Could be your pet or someone else's.

I'll leave human to you. That doesn't necessarily mean a thief. Sometimes people think this kind of stuff makes a good practical joke.

Odds are it is just the molt. It usually is. Often some of mine start back up when they are finished with the molt, even this time of the year. But some of them wait for longer warmer days.

Same here - although mine have only stopped laying 2 months ago. 22 hens. This is only the second winter for some of them and the third for the rest. Some were broody prior, and then after that they all started molting. They finished molting 2 or 3 weeks ago and still nothing. I put false eggs in their nests hoping that would start someone’s engine, but still nothing. I’ve never supplied supplemental light or heat and they've never gone longer than 3 days without an egg in the past. I’m completely baffled, and I guess it is what it is. But at least now I know someone else is going though the same thing. Oh - I have a security camera in the coop and I can confirm there are no egg eaters or stealers at this time. Good luck with your hens! 🤞

We have about 20 hens running with three roosters. Not one has laid an egg in about 4 months. What could be the issue?
I hope you come back to give more info @Shleber12 .
Need to know how old your birds are, in weeks or months.
and....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1607349119331.png

Back
Top Bottom