1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

chickens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wilson55, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Wilson55

Wilson55 New Egg

Oct 22, 2009
    As I an new to raising chickens I am wondering why my flock is not laying yet. We have 11 hens ranging in age from very young to hens with well developed combs, and one rooster. Our coop is plenty big enough with a large run. We give them laying feed, cracked corn for scratch, feed them treats from the garden, give them fresh water every day, have put stimulent items in the pens(golf balls),and they are not molting anymore. They seem to be happy enough. But they are not laying, Am I not doing something that I should be? We have had our flock for about a 6 weeks now.

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    how old are your hen s?[​IMG]

as a note:
    16 weeks is usually laying time.. all may vary tho

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  3. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Our hens did'nt start 'til 20 weeks. Orpingtons. I noticed that thier combs, in order of each "coming into it" turned bright red about a week 'er two of the first egg. what color are your girls combs? What breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by