chickens not laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken-Rage, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Chicken-Rage

Chicken-Rage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Taylors SC
    I recently got 9 chickens 3 rir 3 br 2 golden comets and black sex link.
    I built them a coop a very nice one Im not 100% finished with but those are some lucky chickens. "Im mostly finished just need to finish up shingles and Im done. This pic is from before I got the chickens. [​IMG]
    I purchased them from a local breeder about a week ago and yet to get some eggs. I know it takes a little time because of the move but how much time till they start laying?

2. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    Nice coop! How old are your birds?

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Chickens lay eggs when they want to, have had some that layed from the day they moved in and recently others that have yet to lay an egg months after they moved in and should have been laying age.

The time of year is not on your side either, they seam slower initiate laying in the fall than if it were spring.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If it was spring time, I'd say anywhere from a few days up to a month for them to acclimate to their new home. But as was already mentioned, fall is not the best time to take on new layers, because most egg production either sharply falls off or stops around this time of year due to the lack of daylight hours, molting issues, etc. A general figure is that hens need close to 16 hours of light to lay well. Most folks who get good egg production year-round add light (on a timer). Avoiding scratch and other treats (other than high protein ones) can help, but may not be enough...

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    All of the breeds that you have are great layers. I think that within a weeks time you would be getting at least one or two eggs unless they are pullets and not laying yet or older hens that when stressed can really shut down. Hang in there....your patients will be rewarded.

By the way...nice job on the coop! [​IMG]

6. Chicken-Rage

Chicken-Rage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Taylors SC
    well Im not sure of there age but they were all supposed to be laying except for 3 chicks I have in the house 2 gold comets and and bared rock all about 2 months old.
    Id be happy if I could just get a couple of eggs............ I'll keep waiting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by