Chickens not laying

Way too early to worry about hens not laying. I don't start to think something is off until at least they are 6 months old and then only if it isn't fall already. Some chickens will delay laying going into the winter months until Spring.

So what are some good brands of egg layer feed? I use the brand DuMor as my main feed.
I was very impatient as well, so give them a few more weeks and they'll start. Small eggs at first, but in time they will get bigger. Once they start, it may not be every day they lay. Sometimes I get only 3 eggs out of 5 gals, then the next day i'll have 5. Guess it depends on their mood! Also, a good egg layer feed is a must. Good luck.

When they do start laying be sure to have oyster shell available for them, this will help with soft shells that come at first. I feed Blue Seal because that is what I grew up on. Not sure if one brand over another will cause them to lay sooner. Just a waiting game.

When they do start laying be sure to have oyster shell available for them, this will help with soft shells that come at first. I feed Blue Seal because that is what I grew up on. Not sure if one brand over another will cause them to lay sooner. Just a waiting game.

I haven't tried oyster shell yet, but maybe I should start using it.

I'm just using a layer ration that has calcium, and then giving them crushed egg shells that I've been saving since I knew I was going to have hens. I'm assuming calcium is calcium. I now have SIX small eggs ready for scrambling, a good meal for two people on a diet!

I'm just using a layer ration that has calcium, and then giving them crushed egg shells that I've been saving since I knew I was going to have hens.  I'm assuming calcium is calcium.  I now have SIX small eggs ready for scrambling, a good meal for two people on a diet! 

We will see what happens now. I guess I have to play the wait game and hope they start laying soon.

I was looking at your photo, and noticed the only one that is laying is the only one with a bright red comb and waddle. My girls are only 10 weeks old, so I have quite a while more to wait, but I have read on this site alot and also my neighbor who has a huge flock of Buff Orpingtons that their combs get very red when ready to lay. Your other three don't look as mature as the Barred Rock.. She also told me her buffs usually start to lay 23-24 weeks.

So, I am sure you are doing everything fine, add the oyster shell, and just be a bit more patient. THey are on their way!

Good Luck, and let us all know!
MB

I was looking at your photo, and noticed the only one that is laying is the only  one with a bright red comb and waddle.  My girls are only 10 weeks old, so I have quite a while more to wait, but I have read on this site alot and also my neighbor who has a huge flock of Buff Orpingtons that their combs get very red when ready to lay.  Your other three don't look as mature as the Barred Rock..  She also told me her buffs usually start to lay 23-24 weeks. 

So, I am sure you are doing everything fine, add the oyster shell, and just be a bit more patient.  THey are on their way!

Good Luck, and let us all know!
MB

Thank you for the info Melabella. I will be more patient. muchas gracias!

Back
Top Bottom