Chickens not molting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenCrazy8, Nov 24, 2013.

1. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    Hi all, I have two chickens that are not molting, they were both henpecked by two older chickens (that are now gone), so they are missing feathers. It's really cold and getting colder, and they are shivering. Is there anything I can do to help them molt?
    Should I decrease the supplementation of light in their coop?
    Thanks!

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    How old and what breed are these chickens?

When you say light, do you mean heat? Normally you do not need heat in the coop for grown chickens. But you may need heat depending on how bald your chickens are.

3. ChickenCrazy8

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    They are getting close to 1.5 years old. The breeds are SLW and EE. I have four chickens and two of them (EE and BA) have already molted. No, I do not heat the coop, the light is just to increase egg production (14hrs of light a day).

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Sometimes chickens molt so lightly that you may not notice it, particularly the first year's molt. And with the henpecking it would make it even more difficult to see.

Were the two henpecked very recently? If so, they may have lost some of their new feathers.

5. ChickenCrazy8

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    They were henpecked early fall/late summer. Maybe it is just a really slow/light molt. I hope so!!
    Thanks

6. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

I agree with bullit . They don't always get a hard molt and light molts are a very good thing. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by