Chickens not molting

ChickenCrazy8

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Canada, Ottawa
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all, I have two chickens that are not molting, they were both henpecked by two older chickens (that are now gone), so they are missing feathers. It's really cold and getting colder, and they are shivering. Is there anything I can do to help them molt?
Should I decrease the supplementation of light in their coop?
Thanks!

Hi all, I have two chickens that are not molting, they were both henpecked by two older chickens (that are now gone), so they are missing feathers. It's really cold and getting colder, and they are shivering. Is there anything I can do to help them molt?
Should I decrease the supplementation of light in their coop?
Thanks!

How old and what breed are these chickens?

When you say light, do you mean heat? Normally you do not need heat in the coop for grown chickens. But you may need heat depending on how bald your chickens are.

They are getting close to 1.5 years old. The breeds are SLW and EE. I have four chickens and two of them (EE and BA) have already molted. No, I do not heat the coop, the light is just to increase egg production (14hrs of light a day).

They are getting close to 1.5 years old. The breeds are SLW and EE. I have four chickens and two of them (EE and BA) have already molted. No, I do not heat the coop, the light is just to increase egg production (14hrs of light a day).

Sometimes chickens molt so lightly that you may not notice it, particularly the first year's molt. And with the henpecking it would make it even more difficult to see.

Were the two henpecked very recently? If so, they may have lost some of their new feathers.

Back
Top Bottom